Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots recommendation & where to buy

Options
  • 12-06-2017 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm sure this question is asked a lot and sorry for any repetition but I'm doing the Salkantay trek in Peru in August and need to invest in some good boots. I do a reasonable amount of hiking in Ireland but usually just wear a pair of light trainers, I'm mostly a fair weather hiker :D

I've been meaning to get some decent boots and now I've no real choice in the matter. The problem is I've no idea what to go for and no idea where to buy. The only place I know of to buy top brand outdoor gear in Dublin is 53 Degrees North in Carrickmines and they are very expensive. Now I know a good pair of boots will set me back €150-€200 and that's fine, I just want to make sure I'm spending that money on the right brand.

I've been doing a bit of research and it looks like the Lowa Men’s Renegade Gtx Mid Hiking Boots could be the best option, but I'd like some recommendations from you more experienced hikers and where you'd recommend to purchase your recommendation. I like supporting Irish business where possible so that'd be an added plus.

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

There's also Great Outdoors (Chatham St) and BaseCamp (Abbey St) in the city centre. Both Irish businesses. Pricewise they are similar to 53 Degrees North. But sometimes the same item is different prices between the three so check them all.

Lowa gear gets good reviews. Not used them myself so can't give a personal opinion on them. Quite often though the best one is the one that fits best. For example I never get Salamon footwear - not because they're not good - they are. But because they tend to be a narrow fitting and I've wide feet. So they'd be terrible on my feet. Miendl are perfect fitting for me.

Other thing to ask is do you need boots or would shoes do? I'm not familiar with the trails in Peru so don't know. Boots are really only necessary for off-trail hikes - you can use shoes on hard trail just as well. The ankle support comes from the sole not the ankle section of the boot so a good pair of shoes offers as much support as a good boot does. Shoes can be lighter too and can often be a little cheaper. Just something to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Cotswold outdoors are in Suffolk street and usually have a sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Orion wrote: »
    There's also Great Outdoors (Chatham St) and BaseCamp (Abbey St) in the city centre. Both Irish businesses. Pricewise they are similar to 53 Degrees North. But sometimes the same item is different prices between the three so check them all.

Lowa gear gets good reviews. Not used them myself so can't give a personal opinion on them. Quite often though the best one is the one that fits best. For example I never get Salamon footwear - not because they're not good - they are. But because they tend to be a narrow fitting and I've wide feet. So they'd be terrible on my feet. Miendl are perfect fitting for me.

Other thing to ask is do you need boots or would shoes do? I'm not familiar with the trails in Peru so don't know. Boots are really only necessary for off-trail hikes - you can use shoes on hard trail just as well. The ankle support comes from the sole not the ankle section of the boot so a good pair of shoes offers as much support as a good boot does. Shoes can be lighter too and can often be a little cheaper. Just something to consider.

That's interesting about the shoes. I've done some quick googling and it seems that either shoes or boots would suffice, although there is some element of 'off trail' hiking on the Salkantay trek it seems, but how wet or muddy that might be is really weather dependent. It'd be great if shoes would do not only for the hiking but for packing as well, much less weight and space taken up. In Ireland we do no off-trail hiking so boots would be wasted here I think.

Thanks for the recommendations I'll check those places out.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it we're also doing some Amazon trekking too so I think the boots are a necessity for that alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

If you're flying as far as Peru there's no point in having the trip ruined by using sub-par footwear. Get decent boots so you're sure they'll do for the trek. If you twist an ankle on uneven terrain and can't continue on the trek you'll be annoyed with yourself if you didn't get boots. Make sure you break them in well before heading on a multi day trek as blisters won't have time to heal and will make you miserable. Any of the shops mentioned will help you with sizing.

I never pack my boots in luggage as if they get lost en route you'll find it hard to start the trek. I always wear my boots on planes so I know if my luggage is lost I still be able to start. I keep essential gear in my carry on bag so I could do the hike but would be slightly smellier by the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You are going to have to wear those boots a lot before the trek to be sure they are broken in. Otherwise...

Would lightweight Goretex boots be a better choice?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

What's the general consensus on breaking in boots? Hoping to pick them up this week and literally wear them everywhere between now and the trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Down to the individual. I never had a problem breaking in boots but always erred on the side of caution with a few short treks to start

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Basecamp have a discount card that gets you 10%. Perhaps call in for something small and have a chat with them first before making a splurge, especially when it comes to boots.

On a side note, it's worth popping into the likes of Trespass for some cheap and cheerful bits and bobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If you twist an ankle on uneven terrain and can't continue on the trek you'll be annoyed with yourself if you didn't get boots.

You missed the point. Good shoes have as much ankle support as good boots. Ankle support is in the sole of the shoe! The ankle section of the boot is just a higher waterproof point. If the sole twists it doesn't matter how high the boot is - that's where twisted ankles come from. A good shoe or boot will have a stiff sole that can't be twisted by hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭blackvalley

What's the general consensus on breaking in boots? Hoping to pick them up this week and literally wear them everywhere between now and the trip!

My approach is to wear them around the house for a couple of days and then set out on one of the regular hikes while packing a pair of runners in the back pack " just in case "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭newagesurfer

Hi just giving my two cents here, breaking in boots depends on both persons feet and boot itself, personally if I was you I would wear the boot every day leading up to the trip in places of whatever shoes or runners you have .

I have a pair of keen boots like in link below have them for over a year cannot fault them really, out of box comfort, decent level of Waterproofing walking through shallow streams rivers not an issue, only thing I could possibly think is wrong with these boots is when properly wet due to high River crossing etc may take decent amount of time to dry out,

http://i.keenfootwear.com/images.ashx?t=product&i=mdurand_mid_wp_raventawny_olive_3q.jpg&w=500&h=333&q=90

Thanks everyone for the replies and the advice. Ended up buying the Lowa Renegade's. Not wholly convinced about the fit, the guy in the shop wasn't very helpful, but I have 2 weeks to get a no questions asked refund so I'll see how they are wearing them about the house for a few days. Went a half size up to accommodate swelling and the thicker sock. Thanks again all

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Where'd you buy them?
    I'm about to pull the trigger, assuming they're suitable for my foot shape, on a pair of Meindl Bhutans. Possibly.
    Now, Great OD's and 53 have them at different prices. Cheaper up North but I'll deffo get them fitted and advise in Dublin.
    I don't know, but I think I'd get better service in GO.
    Whenever I go to 53......eh, it's not in stock but we can get it for you. Some stuff anyway.
    I'd have more confidence in GO.

Yeah, I've got a pair of Bridgedale Summit socks ready for fitting :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Thanks for the PM adoc....
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

You won't go wrong with Lowa boots and the UK exchange rate is in your favour for time being as well.

Advertisement