Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denon AVR-X2000 keeps turning on and off

Options
  • 12-06-2017 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Denon AVR-X2000 keeps turning on and off, I think the issue only started after I got Sky Q, so not sure if the extra heat is causing the issue.

See attached pic, I previously had my satbox instead of Sky Q. It doesn't feel that hot when it turns off and on and it was working fine for about 18months in this position with my Satbox.

I checked all speaker connections and reseated them all, also did a reset of the amp and replaced the HDMi cable going from HDMi Arc out on amp to Arc connection on Samsung TV.

When I changed the cable it worked with restarting for about 2 days and then all of a sudden it happen again. Nothing in the enviorment has changed. Just can't get my head around it.

The only other thing I can think it maybe is the speaker cable going into the amp, some of them have been twisted and turned and im wondering cas the copoper cable been broke and may need to cut the ends off and re-twist them?

Hope someone can let me know if they have had this issue wqith this amp or any amp for that matter and what the issue was?

THanks in advance,
    BobbyT28

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Anyone any suggestions??

All the issues started again (amp turning off and on repeatedly). So I cleaned the wire ends up and re fixed them and no issues. I decided to put on Xbox one and I plugged in my Xbox controller into the front USB port to charge the controller and the amp immediately started to turn on and off (this never happened before) I removed it and it went back to normal.
    This also happens when I'm just watching T and no USB is plugged in!

I've made a small video which I will attach to show you what I mean
    Hope someone can let me know if they have had this issue with this amp or any amp for that matter and what the issue was?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeoejPVI4ZU

Thanks,
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭JamBur

That sounds like the PSU (power supply) is beginning to struggle.

JamBur wrote: »
    That sounds like the PSU (power supply) is beginning to struggle.

I sent it to Lawless brothers in Malahide and they had it on test for 12-24hrs on test without anything connected. I actually only got it back yesterdayabd no issues. So far I have carried out the follow:

1. I had it connect to house socket without anything connected into it. Work fine for the 3hrs.

2. Connected it in the sample plug board that I everything else is plugged into with nothing connected into it, and put it into the same cupboard minus the sky Q box that I think runs very hit, it ran for 9hrs without issue.

3. I've now connected all the other things to it with out the sky, Xbox etc connected in the same cupboard without the sky Q in it. Run the last hour with out issue. Played Spotify through speakers and all working fine.

In about 2 hours I will connect all the Chromecast, xboxx and android to it via arc without connecting sky Q and see how that runs. If it runs ok I'll connect the sky Q box (located outside the cabinet) with everything and test it out.

If it then starts to act up with the sky Q connected I would suspect a arc conflict maybe. If everything is ok I would suspect that the heat from the sky Q box caused the Denon amp to start switching on and off due to heating issues.

I could of course test this first but I want to make sure every else isn't causing it.

What ya reckon, sound like a plan??

Thanks
    BobbyT28

Good methodology. Good luck!

Good methodology. Good luck!

Ok so here's what's happened!!

Put amp in cabinet with only speakers connected. Stayed on for over 4hrs without issue.

Connected HDMI from arc on Samsung to HDMI output on amp.

1. So I first connected the Xbox one to game input turned it on and was able to play with it for about 30mins and then it started to turn on and off like before!!!!!!! So I removed it and it stopped turning on and off and stayed on without issue!!and was fine after I disconnected the Xbox.

2. Connected just the android box to media player input and watch some movie for about 15mins and then it starts to turn on and off again!!! I disconnected the box (nothing connected to amp) and it stopped turning on and off and stayed on without issue!! ggggrrrrrrr

3. I connect the Sky Q to the cbl/sat input Worked for about 20mins and then it started to turn on and off again!! When I disconnected sky Q from the amp it stopped turning on and off and it's been on now for the last 1hr with issue with nothing connected in the inputs just the speakers !!!

I'm.completly at loss as to what this could be!!

Any ideas what I could do next or test next??

Regards,
    BobbyT28

• Advertisement

Amp has been on now for about 5 hrs with only the speakers connected (nothing in the inputs), it's hasn't turned off and on at all!!!

Any ideas?

Taken from another forum;

There is an issue with Sky Q's implementation of HDMI control that can cause problems like these. The new firmware being rolled out is expected to solve them but in the meantime turn off HDMI control on the Sky Q box and see if this resolves things. HDMI CEC is quite flaky even when done properly add in Sky making a hash of theirs you get a bit of a mess sadly.

Ok so after lots of testing here is what I've found.

After speaking to Denon and getting some advise on what to try, I did the following

I reset amp and re installed the firmware. I disconnected all speaker cables and HDMi connection from the amp.

I turned on the amp and it stay on without issue for about 48hrs straight. So this morning I decided to connect HDMi out to TV (samsung), sky Q & and Xbox with out the speakers connected. I turned both sky and Xbox on and left it running. Within about 10mins the amp started to turn on and off. So I removed the HDMI connection and the amp keeps turning on and off. So it looks like some sort of protein ruin is kicking in when a HDMi is connected.

Does anyone have a any idea where I could bring this to get serviced? I have had it in Lawless brothers in Malahide and I have to say the service was a joke. Took them about 14 days to even look at it and I think they only did after I called to remind them they had it!!

I messaged John in richersounds as he has had a shop in Dublin before so hoping he can suggest somewhere.

Did you turn off HDMI control on the Sky Q box, as per my earlier post?

Did you turn off HDMI control on the Sky Q box, as per my earlier post?

Yep, everything is off.

• Advertisement

How did you get on in the end with this?

How did you get on in the end with this?

Still the same.

One thing I have noticed. When noting is plugged into it.

Also,

When I put it into standby mode/turn it off (Press red button remote). It sounds like its completely shutting off like I unplugged it and there is no Red light on the amp (there was before this started)

Could this point to something? Maybe an issue with power load when anything is connected? Why does the red light not come on anymore.

Any ideas what I could ask to be checked when I bring it somewhere?

Also, any ideas where I could bring it? Found lawless brothers very unprofessional so won't b going back.

Thanks again,
    BobbyT28

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Still the same.

One thing I have noticed. When noting is plugged into it.

Also,

When I put it into standby mode/turn it off (Press red button remote). It sounds like its completely shutting off like I unplugged it and there is no Red light on the amp (there was before this started)

Could this point to something? Maybe an issue with power load when anything is connected? Why does the red light not come on anymore.

Any ideas what I could ask to be checked when I bring it somewhere?

Also, any ideas where I could bring it? Found lawless brothers very unprofessional so won't b going back.

Thanks again,
    BobbyT28

Where are you based?

Where are you based?

I'm based in Celbridge, Kildare. Any help would be really appreciated

Sorry I'm in Cork, I wouldn't be able to recommend anyone up that direction

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dfinglas

Mine is doing the same did you get it sorted in the end.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dfinglas

The shop I sent it to, to get fixed couldn’t find any issues (not sure they did anything!!). When I got it home, I removed the housing, removed any dust with a air compressor, unplugged and reseated all cables I could inside. I then factory reset it and thank god it’s be flying since. It’s Never restarted since that.

let me know how you get on

Advertisement