Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darkened tooth as a result of root canal

Options
  • 12-06-2017 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Hi all. About 8 years ago I had a root canal performed on one of my front teeth as a result of a sporting knock. The tooth is structurally fine, but now noticeably darker than my other teeth which is less than ideal as it's pretty hard to hide!

Has anyone had a similar issue, and what did you do to get it sorted out?

Thanks for any replies :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

....... wrote: »

No I haven't had any work done on the tooth since the root canal. It hasn't been causing me any issue, it's just for cosmetic reasons that I want to get something done with it. Would a crown be used in these situations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Internal bleaching might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 patem2ar

OP, it depends on the situation, how much tooth is left and how much of it is filling, if the tooth is largely intact then there is no absolute need for a crown. Internal bleaching of the tooth is definitely an option as are veneers and really only if the tooth is structurally weakened is there a need for a crown. A dentist would be able to give you a more definite answer after examining the tooth. However there are a myriad of other factors that need to be taken into account such as your bite for example that could make all the difference between success and failure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

patem2ar wrote: »
    OP, it depends on the situation, how much tooth is left and how much of it is filling, if the tooth is largely intact then there is no absolute need for a crown. Internal bleaching of the tooth is definitely an option as are veneers and really only if the tooth is structurally weakened is there a need for a crown. A dentist would be able to give you a more definite answer after examining the tooth. However there are a myriad of other factors that need to be taken into account such as your bite for example that could make all the difference between success and failure.

Yep it's structurally perfect, no problems there, so maybe internal bleaching would be a better option. Either way you're right - best ask a dentist for a definitive answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭mmg0305

I had a similar experience with a root canal. Tooth itself was fine, just ended up noticeably darker than the others so it didn't look great.

Dentist suggested bleaching it first, and crown if that wasn't successful. So that's what happened. To be fair to him, he gave me a discount on the crown since the bleaching hadn't worked. Also, this was a good few years ago so technology has probably improved...

Advertisement