Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair is thinning

Options
  • 12-06-2017 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I stopped eating meat about a year ago. Not really by choice, I just suddenly had an awareness that meat was part of a living breathing animal.

Anyways - since I didn't plan or, or actually expect it to last (I assumed I would get over it), I hadn't paid much attention to ensuring I was getting a good balanced diet.

I have noticed over the past 6 months that my hair is thinning and my nails are weaker. I am assuming its a lack of protein? Has anyone any suggestions how to up my protein intake without using protein bars or shakes?

I batch cook and use lentils, beans etc as much as I can, but I am not a big fan of quorn products.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Have you tried taking biotin supplements, or a vegan 'hair and nails' supplement.

Obviously, you should also be aiming for a reasonably balanced diet also, but it may help in the medium term (may take a few months to really take effect). Maybe also take a good vegan multivitamin.

You could also try Viviscal, but it's quite expensive per month, also not vegan as it contains fish ingredients.

Why not also get a full blood workup done, see if you're lacking in anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

It can be a sign of low iron. It can also be a sign of lots of other things that have nothing to do with diet, including but not limited to thyroid problems, a yeast infection of the scalp or other skin problems, menopause, or simply more hairs than usual being in "resting phase" rather than "growing phase".

I'd suggest a chat with your GP rather than self-diagnosis or supplementation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

This happened to me when I was a vegetarian, I became so ill I had to start eating animal products again. Hair was weak, brittle and thin, wouldnt grow, I lost so much weight and had no energy. A healthy vegetarian diet is very expensive as you need to buy nuts and seeds which are very dear when you have to keep buying them, you need supplements and vitamins and tests done to ensure youre getting everything you need, nut butters ect. Its not feasible for allot of people. If it is a lifestyle you can afford then maybe go to a dietician to work out some healthy meal plans. If its not affordable for you then youre going to have to start introducing animal products back into your diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

A healthy vegetarian diet is very expensive as you need to buy nuts and seeds which are very dear when you have to keep buying them
    I'm sorry to hear you'd a bad experience with vegetarianism. I'd disagree with you on this point though. Aldi do bags of seeds for about €1 or €1.50 or something each. I throw a load of them into porridge (also Aldi, and cheap) every morning. I'd highly recommend it, vegetarian or not: much better for you and cheaper than breakfast cereal.

Advertisement