Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Channel surfing on an android box

Options
  • 11-06-2017 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,813 ✭✭✭✭

Recently got an android box for the TV

I just want to surf through channels (BBC, ITV, Channel 4, movie channels, etc)

I've tried mobdro - but it wrecks my head to keep having to exit and choose each time, I'd rather just flick

Anyone found any app that can do this? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'll never get the same flicking experience with VOD as you do with a traditional TV product.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,813 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

With Mobdro - if I flick out of a channel and flick into the next channel, it takes seconds. But I hate having to go out, and come back in again, astonished there isn't a "next channel" function. Later when I come back, it has reset to the top.. awful, awful user interface (yet everyone seems to rave about it)

I don't mind the delay, quality, etc.. sure there must be something that has a "next" button and has those same quality channels that simply allows me to channel surf?

I've spent years "selecting" stuff on Netflix, Plex, etc, I really miss being able to channel surf on a nice selection of stations, would be even better if I could customize the selection - all the tech is right there, just amazed that I can't seem to find anything

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

The functionality you're looking for would really need to be built into the app unfortunately Dohnjoe, you're not going to find some remote control that has a magic button if that's what you mean.

I use the app also and would like the option to browse... maybe in a future version we might get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

For what you are talking about and if you want it for free, then Kodi is your best bet.
    Look up iVue TV Guide or FTV Guide (Legal, they come with zero streams, you add them yourself).
    For example you can use iVue TV Guide with Filmon (also legal) and RTE/TV3/TG4 player addons (ietvnow).

There are other tv guides that you can get that pretty much have the same funcionality, but i do not know the legality of those.

If you want the 'normal' tv experience flick through channels up, down and record or watch recorded tv etc. You will need to pay for it.
    If you split it 3 ways, it usually works out at roughly €5 per month.

Advertisement