Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using second internet connection point for something else...

Options
  • 11-06-2017 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi there,

Hope this is the right area for this question.

I have two internet connection points in my house. One in the living room and one in the upper bedroom. My question, how are they connected?

If there is a direct coax (or otherwise) connection between the two, I want to use it to connect an attic aerial down to my living room without running more cableing through the wall...as its already there. (with a little modification of course)

Is there a direct connection between the two that can be used to run a signal the other way, if you get what i mean? Or are they two seperate internet points!?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Wopp wrote: »
    Hi there,

Hope this is the right area for this question.

I have two internet connection points in my house. One in the living room and one in the upper bedroom. My question, how are they connected?

If there is a direct coax (or otherwise) connection between the two, I want to use it to connect an attic aerial down to my living room without running more cableing through the wall...as its already there. (with a little modification of course)

Is there a direct connection between the two that can be used to run a signal the other way, if you get what i mean? Or are they two seperate internet points!?

Thanks!

Internet connection points are usually ethernet cable and not coax.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

Internet connection points are usually ethernet cable and not coax.

For example a virgin media connection point where you get your tv/internet? Its a coax type cable that comes out into the modem, not ethernet. Sorry for the confusion!

I have two of these points: wVmqcy
    https://goo.gl/images/wVmqcy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

They won't be looped together at least that highly unlikely, I'd imagine both cables are fed from the little white service box usually outside near your meter box. They also could be connected in the attic with the feed from the service box, you'd need to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

In my sister's case, in Lucan, the bedroom and living room cable ran directly to the external junction box and no where near the attic, found this out when I was cabling various points in the house for satellite and Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They normally put up 4 point taps on the eave and then from there to the install points (historically TVs).

If the run is entirely internal your house and you arent using Virgin for your supply then you could buy two of these for E350 and still get **** speeds.

Basically its not worth bothering with.

• Advertisement
Advertisement