Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech Analysis

Options
  • 11-06-2017 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering how many out there use TA?

If so, what do you use and why?
    Did you find it difficult?
    Why dont you use fundamentals?
    What do you trade?

I used to trade equities and use a mix of fundamentals for research and tech for entry.

Now only use price action on Dax, GBP/JPY and sometimes oil or Dow. Just use a 1min chart

Having moderate success currently but taken its time to learn.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Have looked at it off and on over the years or indeed decades.

Often wonder how much of it is self-fulfilling prophesy

E.g chartists claim that if a share breaks through a certain level, it will go much higher to a further level.

When the chart gets to that certain level, then investors pile in.

But when Bank of Ireland were collapsing back about 2008/9 some were talking about all sorts of "resistance points" all the way down to below the sub 10 cents where it ended up. Dropped thru them all like a stone.

That said charts showing share movements plus volume traded are useful

• Registered Users Posts: 49 irish_investr

Hanging man candlestick
    Head & Shoulders
    MFI (Money Flow Index)
    In my experience these are "easier" than the others. Personally I don't believe they have any predictive value, they're just interesting to watch. Oh, and I love death-crosses, especially when Marketwatch.com write about them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Hanging man candlestick
    Head & Shoulders
    MFI (Money Flow Index)
    In my experience these are "easier" than the others. Personally I don't believe they have any predictive value, they're just interesting to watch. Oh, and I love death-crosses, especially when Marketwatch.com write about them :)

Thanks for reply.

Whats a death cross?

Do you use different chart times?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 irish_investr

Thanks for reply.

Whats a death cross?

Do you use different chart times?

Yep, there are Death-crosses and Golden crosses. As far as I remember, death is when 200 day moving averages crosses 50 day moving average from above. And golden cross the opposite - when 50MA crosses 200MA from underneath.

Advertisement