Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Planner

Options
  • 09-06-2017 10:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi,

I was married last year and currently having major issues with a Wedding Planner based in Dublin.
    I have been in touch with a few other couples who have had similar problems and the same view that they wouldn't recommend her (4 couples) and I have heard that there is others. Even an article printed in the Hearld (I can't seem to find it...!).
    If anyone else knows of anyone or has information I would really love to hear from them.
    This is a nightmare that won't seem to end. What was meant to be a magical time in a couples life has been nothing short than a nightmare.

Mod note - I have edited the thread title and post to remove potentially identifying information that you re-inserted after my last edit.

dudara

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

By publishing allegations on a public forum and naming someone, your legal action will likely fail and they could possibly take defamation proceedings against you.

Check with your solicitor - they will very very quickly tell you to delete the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 CocoSoft25

I was told by a solicitor that honesty is the defense for defamation, that and all the evidence I have with every comment I make.

Usually I am skeptical about peoples reviews, but I wish I took more heed to the reviews I read before hiring this woman.

None the less I'm very grateful for your advice and have amended the thread, can never be too careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,339 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

CocoSoft25 wrote: »
    I was told by a solicitor that honesty is the defense for defamation, that and all the evidence I have with every comment I make.

That's all very well but while you may feel comfortable standing over your allegations, you can't expect a third party (boards.ie) to publish them for fear that you are someone with an axe to grind or that you are a commercial competitor, in either case potentially leaving them at risk of being sued for defamation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

CocoSoft25 wrote: »

Usually I am skeptical about peoples reviews, but I wish I took more heed to the reviews I read before hiring this woman.

None the less I'm very grateful for your advice and have amended the thread, can never be too careful!

no - The TRUTH is the ultimate defense. You can be honest and wrong as in every case there is another side.

You solictor should also tell you to err on the cautious side especially if there are proceedings in play.

I made the error myself a few years ago - 100% true statement, absolutely no doubt, but still they tried a defamation case and they dropped it before it went to court - i still had legal fees of almost €2k and that was cheap due to knowing the solictor very well

• Registered Users Posts: 25,339 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

CeilingFly wrote: »
    no - The TRUTH is the ultimate defense. You can be honest and wrong as in every case there is another side.

If by that 'no', you mean truth is the only defence, it is not. Yes, truth is the ultimate defence and if the facts are on your side, you have a cast iron defence. But what the OP is referring to also is a valid defence, the defence of 'honest opinion' - so you can be 'honest and wrong' (your words) but still potentially defend a case for defamation.....

20.— (1) It shall be a defence (to be known, and in this section referred to, as the “defence of honest opinion”) to a defamation action for the defendant to prove that, in the case of a statement consisting of an opinion, the opinion was honestly held.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/31/section/20/enacted/en/html#sec20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

What exactly are you trying to achieve?.

You say this 'issue' arose last year, and you're still focussed on it.

Sh?t happens, mistakes are made, things go wrong, people sometimes have regrets.

Allowing something that happened a year ago to eat you up isn't worth it, unless its a matter of life or death.

Advertisement