Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaky fuel line connector

Options
  • 08-06-2017 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi All,

I'm completely new to oil boilers and plumbing in general having only just bought my first house. We ran out of oil recently and when the new delivery came, there was air in the supply line. I tried bleeding it but nothing seemed to come out. So, perhaps foolishly, I started dismantling connections leading back to the tank. The oil was eventually flowing but I can't reassemble the whole line without getting a small leak at the shutoff.

8Dd2hZ.jpg

The image top left shows most of the assembly. Top right shows the flared copper pipe that connects up at the right of this. Bottom left shows the end of the flexible fuel line. Bottom centre and right show each end of the shutoff valve.

What I'm wondering is whether these are all metal to metal joints or should there be some additional rubber seals or PTFE tape or anything like that. I've a feeling that the problem is with the flared copper pipe. I presume that the flare nut should be pushing this up against the rubbery looking bit inside the shutoff valve. Is there something missing here? I've cleaned up all the metal parts so there's no paste or tape there. Do I need to reapply any kind of sealant? If so, where? Or maybe parts need replacing. Please help!

Thanks,
    James.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

You need PTFE on the male threads of the reducers and the ends of the flare nuts that screw into the reducers.
    The flares shouldn't have PTFE.

Nothing should be in contact with the inside of the valve.
    Pity you didn't show all the parts on the right hand side, assume there's a different style of flare fitting not shown there.

Not an expert but that's my understanding of it, hope it helps.

Advertisement