Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Violin Teacher

Options
  • 08-06-2017 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hello. I have completed my grade 8 exams a few years back and would love to start teaching the violin in the school I'm working in. Just wondering if there is a programme I could follow? What I mean is what exams would the students do? Is there exams out there that I could sign the kiddies up for?
    Also any ideas on what to charge for 20 mins or 30 mins lessons.
    I have thought violin lessons before but very casually, eg. trad, no exams and fun popular music. I'd like it to be more official if I could.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭PopSensyDad

Within my knowledge, quite few schools seem to provide formal grading/examination in Irish traditional music. Famous ones are SCT at RIAM and DIT Conservatory, but I do not know if they take external candidates. Aiming an award at Sligo Feis Ceoil may be quite attractive for the serious candidates. Setting up or entry to a local performance event may increase students' motivation too.

About classical music, ABRSM is internationally well known. Feis Ceoil is a big aim too. RIAM and DIT set well-recognised formal grading system. Their performance syllabuses include traditional repertoire including Irish traditional. Again, those who are interested in their grades usually receive lessons in these schools.

There is always a demand for Junior/Leaving certificate by teenagers and parents. If you can teach theory too, it will be very attractive.

Separately, just in case, as you wrote about being professional/official, Garda vetting should be done for child (under 18) education. It is good to have this, in fact, it is a legal requirement in case of the public sector including the trainees since 2016. If you teach within a school premise, do not forget to confirm.

I do not know what "the school" exactly stands for or what kind of contract/position you are already in, so please ignore if you were already a teacher. You need at least Bachelor of Education degree to teach in primary/post-primary school as a qualified teacher.

Use citizensinformation.ie for further information about these requirements.

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 qwerty88

Thanks a million for your reply. Ya I had looked at the RIAM syllabus and thought it qould be a good one to follow so was hoping they would take external candidates but I'll look more into it.
    I am a qualified primary school teacher so there is no issue there. I would also hope to teach theory as part of my lessons.
    Also any idea what fees are the norm for a 20 or 30 minute lesson?
    Thanks again!

Advertisement