Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We Used The Exact Same Poetry Essay Today?

Options
  • 08-06-2017 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I put a few of my essays on Studyclix as I didn't want to bother downloading Google docs on my phone to access them.
    Some guy I'm friends with found my Donne one a few weeks ago, he thought it had been stolen, had a laugh because I'd put it up myself, moved on.

Transpired today that we basically wrote the same essay for P2. As in, he'd learnt that essay off and I'd obviously used my own work. Not angry or anything as it's completely my fault for putting it where people could get it - maybe my ideas are on countless other Donne essays whizzing their way to Athlone, who knows.

Wondering though am I going to get marked down for fraud\unoriginality if we get the same corrector as we're from same school? Apparently they're cracking down on stuff being learnt off - but surely it's not my fault that he learnt off my original essay?

Its more of a query than an "OH MY GOD THERE GOES MY 625", so sorry if I sound melodramatic.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jogd1234

I'd imagine if the same corrector does both then there'll be an issue there, yeah. Not something you can control now though, may as well forget about it for now and focus on the rest of your exams

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your supervisor will have drawn a map of the room showing where you were sitting in relation to each other. If either of you went to the toilet, the times will be written on your paper.

If all these make it look like there were shenanigans, there might be a problem, but I doubt there will be. Depnding on how big your school is, you will probably get the same examiner.

Sharing essays for others to learn off is not a great idea. Let them do their own work.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭roisiny

spurious wrote: »
    Your supervisor will have drawn a map of the room showing where you were sitting in relation to each other. If either of you went to the toilet, the times will be written on your paper.

If all these make it look like there were shenanigans, there might be a problem, but I doubt there will be. Depnding on how big your school is, you will probably get the same examiner.

Sharing essays for others to learn off is not a great idea. Let them do their own work.

Yeh, It hadn't crossed my mind anyone in my school would even find my essay, let alone learn It off, was only up online to be handy for me. It's approx 100 student school.

When you say you doubt they'll be trouble, does that mean you doubt I'll be marked down?

The essay in question was quite similar to the one today (style is humorous and thought provoking vs simultaneously uses a playful and challenging style and content) Though we'd obviously of addressed the question differently, just the techniques and explanations used are identical (well probably "ish", didn't want to be demanding and ask just how closely he'd learnt it all off)

I also used an extra technique that he didn't include.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Daledge

I think you'll be fine. For one, you'd have to get the same corrector. Secondly, he'd have to notice the similarity. Thirdly, as previously mentioned he'd check if you were seated close to each other and/or went to the toilet at similar times. Even still, he'll probably just assume you learned it off like most other students do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

roisiny wrote: »

When you say you doubt they'll be trouble, does that mean you doubt I'll be marked down?
    <snip>

I also used an extra technique that he didn't include.

You won't be marked down. You will be marked according to the marking scheme and there is nothing in that about similar answers.

Worst possible scenario -
    You get the same examiner
    He/she notices similarities
    He/she reports to Advising examiner

AE asks if they are 100% sure candidate A copied from candidate B?
    Examiner will say, well it looks like B copied some of A's work, or learned it off or the other way round.

AE advises them to leave it.

You'll be fine, but really, don't let people piggyback on your work, especially in college. You will find there will be plenty only too willing to let you do the work for them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement