Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lahinch or Lehinch ??

Options
  • 08-06-2017 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

The seaside resort has been popularly known as Lahinch since the 1850s, but the name was changed on official road signs to Lehinch around five years ago.

This arises from the resort appearing as Lehinch on the Placenames Database of Ireland and on Ordnance Survey Maps.

However, the switch from the Ain the name resulted in some locals taking direct action by covering up the E with an A in signs around the village.

Now, following a decision by a Clare County Council special policy committee (SPC) on the issue, councillors are looking to set aside funds in 2018 for a local plebiscite in Lahinch on the issue.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/taxpayer-faces-10000-bill-to-put-the-a-back-in-lahinch-451859.html

So, are you a La-hinch or a Le-hinch person?

Lahinch or Lehinch - Have your say! 47 votes

Lahinch
    4% 2 votes
    Lehinch
    95% 45 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

There is a good blog post from Michael Vaughan here explaining the historical background to the two spellings.

Maybe your poll should be Lahinchy or Lehinchy ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Please or displease everyone and give it a new name

L'hinch

That should sort it out!

:D:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Don't forget poor Miltown and Corrofin :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Or my personal favourite Ballvaghan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Or Cloonlara and Clonlara.

How much did the Country council spend five years ago to create this mess?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Lehinch is almost as bad as Corrofin :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In the defence of the Council a lot of what they're doing is fixing past mistakes, I know that some of the older signs were doing by someone that didn't have a map and just spelt the places how he thought they were spelt. A running joke used to be to give directions to Lehinch were to go out the Corrofin road on the way to Ennistymon, once you got to the Corofin turn off and keep going, take a left in Ennisdymon and then you'd arrive in Lahinch.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Stick with Surfcity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Clareman wrote: »
    In the defence of the Council a lot of what they're doing is fixing past mistakes, I know that some of the older signs were doing by someone that didn't have a map and just spelt the places how he thought they were spelt. A running joke used to be to give directions to Lehinch were to go out the Corrofin road on the way to Ennistymon, once you got to the Corofin turn off and keep going, take a left in Ennisdymon and then you'd arrive in Lahinch.

Er I don't get it.

buck65 wrote: »
    Er I don't get it.

How so many places so close & on the same road could have different spellings

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It can be either tbh - not sure does it really matter that much.

Advertisement