Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone imported spare parts for instruments?

Options
  • 08-06-2017 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm getting some replacement drum parts and a re-manufactured snare shell from a company in Canada. The shell is a warranty item of sorts and the parts are wear and tear items.
    What is the story with import tax? I don't necessarily want to avoid it but at the same time can import tax be charged on spare parts and warranty items? Is there someone I can call and talk to about this to see where I stand?

There is a complete snare too that will be a direct import so that is understandable and I'm cool with it. I have a receipt for what I have paid for it so depending on what they value that at I can argue.

It's the spares and warranty bits that worry me as I know the import guys can be nice or can be bleep bleep bleep.....ers. They're only doing what they've been told to do but I have been told they see musical instruments are related items as a cash cow....

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

speaking from the north......

Here, tax is paid on the value of the item being imported.

why that item is being imported is irrelevant.

I assume yours'll be the same.

sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

That all good. I just was wondering what the vibe was!
    I didn't know if they'd look in the boxes, see a load of drum parts and put a ridiculous value on them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

They could do, if they suspect that the declared value is incorrect.

feylya wrote: »
    They could do, if they suspect that the declared value is incorrect.

There will be receipts in the box and insurance docs.
    I had just wondered about the warranty item is all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

It depends on the customs agent you get. As far as I know, everything is subject to import tax, though I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

feylya wrote: »
    It depends on the customs agent you get. As far as I know, everything is subject to import tax, though I could be wrong.

I think I'll be able to report back when the box arrives! Cannot find any info online or on the customs site.

Advertisement