Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting bands and credits for foreign spouse

Options
  • 08-06-2017 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

hello. I moved to ireland 6 months ago. I am Irish and my spouse is from US. Better half agreed to stay home with the children, and i got a job. I am being taxed as single, as I was before leaving some years back. Now I want be assessed as married, jointly, one income, but am having a hard time with revenue. I sent in the IT2 but because spouse never worked or was PAYE, they seem unable to give me the allowances. We have been told to register spouse on myaccount but as far as i can tell you need either a job or pension to do that. So we phoned and were told, sorry, you will have to remain taxed as single.

Is that true? many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Your spouse needs to be set up on the system before they can link the two of you for joint assessment. Revenue no longer set people up as they want everyone to do it themselves online. You'll have to set up your spouse online then resubmit your assessable spouse election form to Revenue.

If your spouse has no income you may also be entitled to the home carer tax credit. Look up IT66 and submit the completed forms along with your IT2.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Valentina wrote: »
    Your spouse needs to be set up on the system before they can link the two of you for joint assessment. Revenue no longer set people up as they want everyone to do it themselves online. You'll have to set up your spouse online then resubmit your assessable spouse election form to Revenue.

If your spouse has no income you may also be entitled to the home carer tax credit. Look up IT66 and submit the completed forms along with your IT2.

I don't think this can be done if the Spouse does not already have a PPS Number.

You won't have to say as single OP. If you are supporting your wife, and she has no income in her own right, you are entitled to married credits. Full stop.

Your best course of action is to write into your local district, and lay out the facts. They may ask for confirmation from the IRS that your wife is not in receipt of taxable income in her own right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I don't think this can be done if the Spouse does not already have a PPS Number.

You won't have to say as single OP. If you are supporting your wife, and she has no income in her own right, you are entitled to married credits. Full stop.

Your best course of action is to write into your local district, and lay out the facts. They may ask for confirmation from the IRS that your wife is not in receipt of taxable income in her own right

Yes I meant she will need her own PPS to be set up. Having reread the OP, I'm not sure if the spouse is here or in the States.

Advertisement