Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

food promotional sticker

Options
  • 08-06-2017 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi all.

Aldi had an in house promotion on beef medallion steak last week. There was a promotional sticker on the packaging saying 99c off. Aldi also had their own pricing listed on the shelf stating the original price of 4.99 and the new promotional price of 3.99.
    Aldi have now finished the in house promotion but continue to sell the steak with the 99c off sticker.

When I questioned this at the till,after being charged 4.99,I was informed the promotion had ended but they gave me 99c off as a gesture of goodwill.

So are they allowed to sell the steak at 4.99 if there is promotional sticker saying 99c off on it?
    Am I wrong to expect 99c off?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

As long as they tell you the proper price etc before you pay I think there is nothing wrong with it. I could be wrong tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,342 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Matt.ie wrote: »
    So are they allowed to sell the steak at 4.99 if there is promotional sticker saying 99c off on it?

Yes they are. This scenario has been discussed dozens of times in the Legal and Consumer fora.
    Matt.ie wrote: »
    Am I wrong to expect 99c off?

Not 'wrong' in any moral sense, clearly you have an expectation based on the sticker but you'd have no legal basis for insisting that they sell you at the indicated discount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Matt.ie

coylemj wrote:
    Not 'wrong' in any moral sense, clearly you have an expectation based on the sticker but you'd have no legal basis for insisting that they sell you at the indicated discount.

Yip. Had expected the 99c off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Legally yes, they can do that "invitation to treat"

Morally and from customer service point of view its poor form.

Also legally if you gave them a €50 note for €42 of shopping, they don't have to give any change!! But if a store had such a policy it would close within a day.

Advertisement