Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking or Eating with Coconut Oil

Options
  • 08-06-2017 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to introduce Coconut Oil into my daily intake and I'm struggling to find ways to eat it.

I've tried eating a spoonful in the morning which is a recommended way, but the taste just does not agree with me.

I've also tried it as a spread on my sandwich, but it was a bit meh compared to butter.

The reason for introducing it is that I need to increase my calorie and fat intake without increasing protein intake significantly.

I was looking into smoothies, but I get the impression they would cost a fortune by the time all the fruit etc has been bought.

Any recommendations for me?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Teaspoon in a cup of coffee. Obviously a bit greasy but tastes fine!

Otherwise using it to cook when you can instead of other oils, as a replacement for eggs in baking, that kinda thing.

If you're finding it difficult to fit in maybe try focusing on other foods? Avocado, nuts, seeds etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You might get advice in the Nutrition & Diet forum too, on upping your calorie and fat intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

You might get advice in the Nutrition & Diet forum too, on upping your calorie and fat intake.

I've come from there :)

allym wrote: »
    Teaspoon in a cup of coffee. Obviously a bit greasy but tastes fine!

Otherwise using it to cook when you can instead of other oils, as a replacement for eggs in baking, that kinda thing.

If you're finding it difficult to fit in maybe try focusing on other foods? Avocado, nuts, seeds etc

Yeah - I've read that it is a bit oily in coffee, but there was a way to avoid this. I'll look into it again.

I do eat avocado 1 - 2 times per week, but I need to up things on a daily basis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm probably wrong but I'd have thought that full fat dairy products would be low enough in protein? And eggs/hollandaise sauce/mayo, that sort of stuff? Oily fish too.
    It's a conundrum all right, and not something you'd normally think about.

• Advertisement

I'm probably wrong but I'd have thought that full fat dairy products would be low enough in protein? And eggs/hollandaise sauce/mayo, that sort of stuff? Oily fish too.
    It's a conundrum all right, and not something you'd normally think about.

Dairy, eggs and fish are all too high in protein for me. I don't eat any of them.
    1 egg would be half my protein intake for the day.
    A fish would be five times.
    Glass of milk would be over half.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

That's such an interesting task! I use it instead of butter for my toddler, but only with certain sandwich fillings. I'd use it if he's having banana, peanut butter, berries or the likes on bread. Anything sweet.

It's actually nice spread thickly on nice bread and fried, if you're feeling fancy that's lovely topped with dessicated coconut and chocolate to melt, it's like a dessert.

Makes a nice oil to use for Indian and Thai style dishes too.

Do you still get the benefits of the oil when you heat it for cooking?

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭coleslaw

Do you still get the benefits of the oil when you heat it for cooking?

i would probably think so as long as you don't heat the oil past its flash point,which i think is about 200 degrees, coconut has a high flash point compared to the likes of olive oil,so hopefully it will retain the nutrients.Olive oil burns at about 180 degrees I think, and i
    could well be wrong.Scrap that a quick google says I'm wrong,don't believe everything you think

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Use it liberally for all cooking - frying, stir frying and roasting all your veg.

You can also make chocolates by melting dark chocolate with coconut oil and letting it set in little cups/moulds.

Melt it and stir it into porridge, risotto and hot desserts.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone :)

Advertisement