Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan's and pets

Options
  • 08-06-2017 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I know this might be a sensible topic or even an grey area.
    I am just wondering what the exact definition would be for a vegan, when it comes to keeping pets.
    As far as I understood, a vegan shouldn't even do that. Granted you might take in a rescue etc. but purely speaking from the moral/ethic behind that. Is there an actual definition for Vegan's and if its okay to keep pets or not?
    To not make it complicated, let's just say PETS and not dogs/cats/rabbits/chickens/horses/etc.
    Whats the thought on this?

Many thanks!

Can a vegan have pets? (ethically) 16 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No, thats against the vegan- concept
    43% 7 votes
    only rescues
    6% 1 vote
    yes but no meat-eating pets
    50% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

By declaring other species as pets you are immediately categorising them in a way that infers ownership, control etc. Vegans can live with other species, with the preferred terminology being 'companion animal'. The point of veganism is to prevent the abuse and/or use of any animal for any purpose, as well as using our 'superiority' to protect and nurture them.

I don't keep pets, but I live with 2 fabulous old rescue dogs who are always happy to see me or my wife walk through the door, who both have unique and discernible personalities, and who are a lot easier to get on with than most people. I make sure they get fed, watered, walked, and most importantly protected.

TBH vegans should be the only ones allowed to live with other species as they are the least likely to harm them

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

If you do have "companion animals" are you causing the death of other animals in order to feed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Mentalmiss wrote: »
    If you do have "companion animals" are you causing the death of other animals in order to feed them.

You're assuming that all companion animals require a meat-based diet. They don't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If you post like that again _Brian you are banned.

Advertisement