Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Paper 2 Length

Options
  • 07-06-2017 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

As someone with fairly small handwriting I was wondering what is the minimum no. of pages for each section in paper 2? I really struggled to get 4 pages for hamlet, 4.5 for comparative, 4 for poetry etc in the mocks, and feel I can't get same level of quality if I go for those lengths. Got 10 done for paper 1 of decent quality which I was really happy with, but wondering what I could aim for for paper 2?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

http://leavingcertenglish.net/2011/05/how-much-to-write/

If your handwriting is small, let's assume you write about 15 words per line. Since 12 is considered normal, you should write about 80% as much as the recommended lengths. I found this to be a very good guide, but go for quality over quantity. However, make sure you use all 200 minutes of the exam.

So I'd recommend:

Single Text: About 4 pages
    Comparative: About 5.5 pages
    Unseen Poem: About 1.25 pages
    Studied Poem: About 3.25 pages

I ended up writing a bit more in each section on the day but you will know best as you're doing the paper. :)

Also, you should have some idea of how much you normally write from class assignments etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jogd1234

Think you could get away with 4-4.5 for comparative? That's generally what I write in assignments & do well but not sure if that's good for LC level? Yeah I've small writing, 13-16 words per line generally. Not sure if I'm a slow writer too, think less is more if it's decent standard

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nyctolust

5-7 is what's often recommended for the comparative, but I (and most people I know) rarely write more than 5-5.5 pages so I think you should be okay with 4.5. It really mostly depends on the quality of your comparisons more than the amount of comparisons you might make.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Nyctolust wrote: »
    5-7 is what's often recommended for the comparative, but I (and most people I know) rarely write more than 5-5.5 pages so I think you should be okay with 4.5. It really mostly depends on the quality of your comparisons more than the amount of comparisons you might make.

This is good advice. The examiner should be able to tell from your handwriting and the quality of your content if what you write is good even if it's a little short. Pages are only a rough guideline, but the Comparative is worth the most marks, and you should spend the most time on it (~70 minutes). Just do your best. I'm sure you'll write enough but time management is very important in this paper along with all exams really. If you're working hard the whole time, you should have enough. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jogd1234

Cheers that sounds helpful. I feel like I tried to write loads in the mock and ended up with lower quality in comparative + hamlet as a result. Got a h2, would love to get the H1 in the real deal so timing is important. Think I'll aim for

Hamlet: 4 pgs
    Poetry: 3.5 pgs
    Unseen poetry: 1.5-2 pgs
    Comparative: 4.5 pgs

• Advertisement
Advertisement