Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance renewal RIP OFF!

Options
  • 07-06-2017 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Well, i have been with 25plus.ie for about 4 years now.

I have been paying during this period of time round 550e a year for my premium.

02, 1.4L car, never failed NCT.

5 years no claims bonus, full EU driving license, no penalties points...

I was shocked when i received my renewal quote 3 days ago, my premium gone from 485e/year to 1209e/year just like that.

I have asked them a reason to why my premium has been tripled, they came with the excuses ''The rates of insurance have risen significantly'' is this a reason for me to be penalize for others faults, what a joke.

I am sure they would like me to a get new 17- reg car... (discriminating)///last year they raised my premium for about 150e and i asked why, they told me its because of my car ... 14+years

Is this legal?

how a company can get away with this, just not normal, morally wrong....

anywhere to lodge a complaints about behavior like this as this shouldn't be acceptable/allowed at all?

SIMPLE RIP OFF!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

You are only being ripped off if you pay it. Your premium is calculated to make you go elsewhere. In short, they don't want your profile on their books and if you don't go elsewhere, that's the money they want to keep you. It's a numbers game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Ever thought of shopping around? Plenty of insurers out there. If you have a partner, and add them to your policy, Aig give extra 25% off.

I'm late 40's, class 2 business policy, full ncp, 2l car, paying under €700 with aig.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Insurers are not your friends.
    Jump ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

Who's taking on old cars now?

15 + years

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Lui_meme_Elle

I know they arent my friends, its just amaze me how everyone seems to be okay with prices like these....

i have been shopping around as i am due renewal within 2 weeks or so, best quote so far is 1050e --allianz , compreh, ncp protection ect..., 250e excess...

AIG:
    Deluxe
    €1,912.93
    or €178.54 per month*

XLNTdriver
    (Download of App on to Android
    or iOS device required)
    €1,912.93
    or €178.54 per month

Briton Insur:

Total Premium: €1838.82

Campioni :
    Quote 1 € 1415.38 Allianz Ireland p.l.c.- Private Motor
    Your details are summarised below:
    Cover Required Third Party, Fire And Theft

AA:
    Your Quote:€1,342.21

Above prices are just crazy and simple rip off as i said in my first post...

Seems no real regulations in place and insurance companies are free to charge people whatever they like with no coherence ..prices..

Juste du vole point barre !!!...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Try going to their website and getting a fresh quote. It could possible come in much cheaper as new policies frequently attract a discount while existing policies don't as they think they have you.

It's worth a try!

Try going to their website and getting a fresh quote. It could possible come in much cheaper as new policies frequently attract a discount while existing policies don't as they think they have you.

It's worth a try!

25plus.ie? I have tried this already, but i cant get a quote online as my current premium is still valid ....

and the best offer they came off with is

Comprehensive
    Amount Payable
    € 1067.97
    Or
    € 117.48 per month

Comprehensive Xtra
    Amount Payable
    € 1152.60
    Or
    € 126.79 per month

Original renewal quote:
    € 1120.87
    or
    € 123.30 per month
    Buy Now

€ 1209.48
    or
    € 133.04 per month

ahahaha what an offer ..dammn !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

also it can be worth ringing them, I got my renewal recently from liberty, it went from 450 to 625 I suppose not too bad when I see what some people got. anyway I got a few online quotes but still couldnt get below 625 the aa was the best at around 625 mark as well so I rang them to see could they do any better, now it turns out if you have any other type of insurance from them then they give you a discount, I have my house insurance with them also if you include a named driver its another discount and finally if you take aa roadside assistance another discount. so my quote went from 625 to 420 add on the roadside assistance which cost me €84 and I got my cover for €504, I was well chuffed

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murt101

Cheapest quotes I've gotten this year have been with Supervalu insurance and Allianz, might be worth ringing them if you haven't already?

• Advertisement

Well:

a- AIG via Supervalu ====include 402e discount ..hahahah

Deluxe
    €1,912.93
    or €178.54 per month*

XLNTdriver
    (Download of App on to Android
    or iOS device required)

€1,912.93
    or €178.54 per month*

b- Allianz from their site

Annual
    €1063.15
    Quotes include a 14% online premium reduction*
    Monthly
    €95.68
    12 monthly installments

Your benefits
    Third party fire & theft.
    New car replacement
    Fire brigade charges
    Replacement locks, car keys, key cards and lock transmitters
    Motor tax refund
    European Cover
    Free temporary car substitution
    Free addition of temporary drivers over 25
    Comprehensive cover.
    Bonus protection.
    Driving other cars.
    Personal accident.
    250e excess ====

Just crazy quotes imma getting ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

The issue isn't the insurance companies. The issue is the judges giving thousands in compensation to every knacker claiming whiplash following a minor fender bender

Well despite those claims/compensation ...these companies keep making profit ..not small amount ..loads of money ...

if they werent, they would have left the market long time ago.

But as there is no authority that really control them they can came up with any arguments as they wanted in order to continu to fleece people ... just not normal paying these kind of high premiums in order to drive a simple car.

its a shame ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 869 ✭✭✭mikeybrennan

LiamoSail wrote: »
    The issue isn't the insurance companies. The issue is the judges giving thousands in compensation to every knacker claiming whiplash following a minor fender bender

I don't believe that's proven

Insurance companies are constantly moving the goalposts in an effort to boost profits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

LiamoSail wrote: »

Yeah I don't get that.

How does penalizing normal people for others crimes solve any of this. It will just make the problem worse.

all what will happen is people will switch insurers or get rid the car completely, making it a smaller income pool for the insurer. Thus they will rise premiums again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

How massive are these alleged profits and why arent others rushing in to take advantage of this hard market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

How massive are these alleged profits and why arent others rushing in to take advantage of this hard market?

That is not a simple question. There a lot of complexity to this. There is the issue of the local cost of the Irish Insurance, then that most of these insurance companies are part of much bigger global businesses. They may be running at a loss locally but profit overall. They may be making a profit locally, a genuine loss, or a loss only as a financial mechanism, or maybe they are staying in the market waiting for profitability to return.

http://www.independent.ie/business/aviva-profits-surge-after-continued-rises-in-car-insurance-costs-for-consumers-35515693.html

https://www.allianz.com/en/press/news/financials/business_results/170512_Allianz-1Q-2017-final-results/

TBH the cost of insurance is more a consumer/regulatory issue, because its a legal requirement.

Just a rip off, shopping around almost doesnt make big diff as all of are in same game ...

was paying around 500e/year and now i cant get anything close to even 700e/year ... des voleurs... 1000e+ insurance just to drive a car ... not talking about road tax or benzino ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Just a rip off, shopping around almost doesnt make big diff as all of are in same game ...

was paying around 500e/year and now i cant get anything close to even 700e/year ... des voleurs... 1000e+ insurance just to drive a car ... not talking about road tax or benzino ...

i rang 5 different insuranace companies today looking for quotes on car insuarnce. all within 50 euro of each other. free market my backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Quotes would be cheaper with an Irish licence if you change it over from an EU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Just got raped on my quote today too! 75% increase despite 10 years NCB with the same company!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭blade1

p_82 wrote: »
    It's a joke like everything else in this country

Why what else is a joke?
    Instead of moaning about it do something about it.
    My insurance is around €400 every year with the last 20 years.
    I have to change insurer every year and I could give a day or 2 every year trying to get a good deal but in the end I get a satisfactory quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When it becomes an offence that you would be 100% liable for all costs associated with a fraudulent claim including your house then this madness will end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

When it becomes an offence that you would be 100% liable for all costs associated with a fraudulent claim including your house then this madness will end.

I firmly believe until real penalties and sanctions are introduced for those individuals that are found to make fraudulent claims then nothing will change wrt chancers.

There is just too much potential money involved for claimants and those that represent them for it to ever be a fair system in the current set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

You buy an 02 car with full nct passed first time, then you go to get it insured and be told that's too old.
    Well what is the nct there for, to make sure that the car is roadworthy. Why bother because you can't get insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Parchie17

jacob2 wrote: »
    You buy an 02 car with full nct passed first time, then you go to get it insured and be told that's too old.
    Well what is the nct there for, to make sure that the car is roadworthy. Why bother because you can't get insured?

Its simple man,,its just a scam to encourage people to splash out on newer cars. Same with the rip off tax and insurance (if they offer it even)on the old car. It is the kind of thing that would encourage me to just drive on the older car and not fall into their trap. **** them,and all their bull****. My 02 avensis with 300,000 miles is still superior to the modern ones and will undoubtedly run for longer anyway. Axa will offer insurance on old cars if you need it.
    In my opinion, we are pretty much to blame for ripped off as we just accept it. Its not surprising that we keeper getting screwed year after year. Ah well, ,,good old Ireland sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭gussieg

I know this is a bit old, but ive a bit of time before due to renew so thought I'd have a look around, and now, before I even get to input the cars age, I'm being discriminated against because of MY AGE!!!
    This is really all beyond a really bad joke now , car insurance market , building industry, health provision, we are in the hands of a really couldn't careless government. Why are we putting up with it , probably because until it hurts us personally, it's SEP. Someone Else's Problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

gussieg wrote: »
    I know this is a bit old, but ive a bit of time before due to renew so thought I'd have a look around, and now, before I even get to input the cars age, I'm being discriminated against because of MY AGE!!!
    This is really all beyond a really bad joke now , car insurance market , building industry, health provision, we are in the hands of a really couldn't careless government. Why are we putting up with it , probably because until it hurts us personally, it's SEP. Someone Else's Problem.

How old are you?

Advertisement