Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can I do hl maths for ty??

• 07-06-2017 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

If I get a d in maths in the Jc can I ask to move up back to hl??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mono683

Mono683 wrote: »
    If I get a d in maths in the Jc can I ask to move up back to hl??

Like what happens in ty do they put you in an ordinary lvl maths class if u get below a c or can you pick between them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cupcakery

Mono683 wrote: »
    Like what happens in ty do they put you in an ordinary lvl maths class if u get below a c or can you pick between them ?

I'm not a maths teacher but I'm not too long out of school. If I remember correctly you'll stay in ordinary for fourth year and if you improve in 5th yeah at the Christmas exams you'll be moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

A D in JC higher level?

Anyhow the way it goes in our school teachers can only recommend you do a certain level... after that it's up to you, and more importantly your parents, what level you want. You kind of have to insist that you'll be trying your best and not hold the rest back though.

TY isn't supposed to teach the LC course but I think most schools have higher and lower levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Cupcakery wrote: »
    I'm not a maths teacher but I'm not too long out of school. If I remember correctly you'll stay in ordinary for fourth year and if you improve in 5th yeah at the Christmas exams you'll be moved.

It really depends on the school. I'm just out of TY and in my school we just have common level classes for maths in TY. If you did ordinary for the junior you have to do it for the leaving in my school.

I think the OP should consider if they put in a lot of work and ended up with a D or if they just slacked off during the JC and know that they could do better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

You'll still get plenty of points for a D in higher level LC maths... but it might wreck your head if youre trying to keep at pace for the 2 years , other subjects might start to be under pressure too.

5th yr is a long way off though so don't be borrowing future worries unnecessarily. If you're keen to have a go in TY then fair play to you, that's the best time to do it. Talk to one of the senior maths teachers/ year head/career guidance as soon as you get back and let them know you want to try your best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement