Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Litter fine ???

• 07-06-2017 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I am seeking advice for the following :

I have been issued a fine for €150 twice in 1 week for rubbish bags been dumped outside my building , the residents of the building have a bin house where we are allowed to put rubbish bags and have done so for the last 11 months without any problems, someone left the door open on the bin house ( it looks like a shed ) and rubbish bags were opened either by dogs / stray cats , and in one particular bag I had dumped a envelope addressed to me ( I will never do that again ) and they think that it's my fault that his happened , I had placed the bag in the shed like I always do , but the county council think I am littering because the bag opened without me known and have fined me
    Two fines ( two bags with my address in them ) and I don't not wish to pay the fine , I have appealed and was denied but what evidence do they have ?? I don't want to pay the fine and am inquiring if anyone knows what is the consequences of not paying the fine ?? Or attending court ?? Just a bigger fine or jail ??

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Were you the only person to receive a fine? I would assume other residents had bags in the same shed, were they untouched?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Domeniex wrote: »
    I am seeking advice for the following :

I have been issued a fine for €150 twice in 1 week for rubbish bags been dumped outside my building , the residents of the building have a bin house where we are allowed to put rubbish bags and have done so for the last 11 months without any problems, someone left the door open on the bin house ( it looks like a shed ) and rubbish bags were opened either by dogs / stray cats , and in one particular bag I had dumped a envelope addressed to me ( I will never do that again ) and they think that it's my fault that his happened , I had placed the bag in the shed like I always do , but the county council think I am littering because the bag opened without me known and have fined me
    Two fines ( two bags with my address in them ) and I don't not wish to pay the fine , I have appealed and was denied but what evidence do they have ?? I don't want to pay the fine and am inquiring if anyone knows what is the consequences of not paying the fine ?? Or attending court ?? Just a bigger fine or jail ??

Thanks

The fine is €150.
    On conviction up to €3000 plus costs.
    There could be jail for non payment .Default.
    You could be seconded to Probation Services to do litter picks/ clean ups etc.
    It is a criminal offence.
    Your case may be reported on in your local paper and your name printed.
    If you pay the fine you remain anonymous.
    If it goes to court, do attend. Failure to attend normally sees the judge hand out the max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I have no direct experience of such a situation but ..

I would make any appeal in writing and present some photo evidence of the shed and bags and maybe an inadequate door lock.
    Are there any wheelie bins? How do the bags get from shed to lorry? Do refuse collectors carry bags these daysl
    If you're stubborn and indignant you could contact a local councillor and request that he/she calls to inspect the location and intercede on your behalf.

If I decided to pay the fine I wold attach a letter denying responsibility mentioning "payment under duress" or somesuch phase.

Advertisement