Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English Higher Level P1 2017 - Discussion / aftermath

Options
  • 07-06-2017 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Didn't see one up, so I thought I'd post :P

So what did we all think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Don't let me be the only one who thought the essays were awful :( reinventing the wheel?!

The comprehensions were a bit off the wall as well but the question B's were nice.

Overall it was grand. I'm so relieved it's over though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Liordi

There was only one short story which was annoying. Also found it strange that the part (ii) of the comprehensions were more of an opinion than something from the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Consonata

I'm a big politics junkie so the democracy speech and the fake news QB were a gift.

QAs were odd enough though

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Monaghan_98

Not a fantastic but also not a horrible paper by any means! That speech on democracy was a nice addition I thought! Just thankful now the first ones over, and on to the big one tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

A and B were grand, essay titles left a lot to be desired but I think I did a decent personal essay. Found the question B on Text 1 very fair, especially if you've been studying poetry the past few days, although I didn't answer it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Some awful ****e essays on show. Straight away dodged the tattoo, the wheel and the night scene, was happy to see the personal essay on revelations though.

Kinda disappointed a letter didn't make an appearance in the question B, as that would have been my go-to but still felt I made a good job on the opinion piece.

Anybody feel like text 1 had nearly too much emphasis on poetry for something in paper 1? I dodged it straight away for that very reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dorado99

For the essay on democracy " write a speech, to be delivered to a World Youth Conference, in which you give your views on how democracy can be supported in the world today" I spent a lot of time writing that we don't live in a democratic society. Wrote that the opinions of the youth are not heard, and about inequalities within the education system. I did this very persuasively and then at the end of each paragraph offered a solution. The concluding paragraph was bsaically an exortation as to what people should do to have their voices heard. What I'm wondering is it a problem that I described the inequalities and lack of democracy so much? I tried to use language of persuasion but I'm not sure if it came out that the answer wasn't focused on the topic. I was trying to persuade the audience that we don't live in a democratic society. DID I mess up? :(

dorado99 wrote:
    For the essay on democracy " write a speech, to be delivered to a World Youth Conference, in which you give your views on how democracy can be supported in the world today" I spent a lot of time writing that we don't live in a democratic society. Wrote that the opinions of the youth are not heard, and about inequalities within the education system. I did this very persuasively and then at the end of each paragraph offered a solution. The concluding paragraph was bsaically an exortation as to what people should do to have their voices heard. What I'm wondering is it a problem that I described the inequalities and lack of democracy so much? I tried to use language of persuasion but I'm not sure if it came out that the answer wasn't focused on the topic. I was trying to persuade the audience that we don't live in a democratic society. DID I mess up?

Don't bother worrying about small details like that. Post Mortems in that fashion are never good.

Best to just focus on the next exams

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

I agree that post mortems aren't worth spending too much time over. What's done is done and all you can do is focus on the papers to come.

Although I wouldn't be too worried if I were you as long as it was clear that democracy can be supported by mitigating what is undemocratic in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dorado99

A97 wrote: »
    I agree that post mortems aren't worth spending too much time over. What's done is done and all you can do is focus on the papers to come.

Although I wouldn't be too worried if I were you as long as it was clear that democracy can be supported by mitigating what is undemocratic in the world.

You're right, I'll just focus on next exam. I made that point really clear- just used a lot of emotion/persuasive techniques to describe that. I guess I won't lose too many marks and can still hope for a H2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 OhDuvv

Essay titles weren't the best, and I was a bit peeved that there was only one short story title. However I gotta say I enjoyed writing the short story, I really had to think hard about what type of plot would be affected by a tattoo, and I got a lot of satisfaction from taking a good stab at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Consonata wrote: »
    I'm a big politics junkie so the democracy speech and the fake news QB were a gift.

QAs were odd enough though
    I'm the exact same! Such a nice exam if you were into the politics. Thought the Question As were a bit weird alright in comparison to other years but overall they were okay.

I'm dreading tomorrow though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

TEXT 2 - Connected World was really nice. Don't think I've seen that writing style on previous papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

jeanjolie wrote: »
    TEXT 2 - Connected World was really nice. Don't think I've seen that writing style on previous papers.

Since you mentioned writing style, I thought that it was unusual that Text 3 was written in the second person (yes, that exists!)

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I'm the exact same! Such a nice exam if you were into the politics. Thought the Question As were a bit weird alright in comparison to other years but overall they were okay.

I'm dreading tomorrow though!

Oh god yeah. As a repeat I have like 0 knowledge worth talking about of Hamlet, + I'm banking on either of Boland or Plath coming up.

Did not put any effort into these lol

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nyctolust

Today was surprisingly okay, had a good laugh at some of the weird things on that paper (the QB on poetry, the question A on what the best age to be is, the Stone Age essay...)
    I didn't get the personal essay finished, but apart from that, I think it was grand. Feels like pretty much my whole year did the same set of questions (Text 3 A, Text 2 B, personal essay) lol

Terrified for tomorrow though. It could either be a gold mine (i.e. Plath/Boland and a question on the role of women in Hamlet) or a total disaster for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Whushpoppin

Didn't finish both papers because of time management.. I was concentrating heavily on the other sections! At this point I'm lucky if I get a H4 or H5

Advertisement