Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brain haemorrage

Options
  • 07-06-2017 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Just getting out of hospital today after "small stroke" caused by bleed on brain. Temporarily lost power/control of arms and legs at the time but thankfully no damage seems to be done. Feel grand now, a week later apart from some dizzy spells. Despite a number of scans and MRI no cause was found.
    Being sent home with appointment for follow up MRI in 3 months.

Anybody have similar experience and how did things work out. I'm male, 52.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Hi dinjo99,
    Delighted to hear that you are on the mend.

I suffered from a subarachnoid hemorrhage 10 years ago and had 2 aneurysms clipped in Beaumont.

I went on to make a full recovery. I had follow-up appointments with my consultant on 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and 1 year. Other than not being able to take part in any contact sports due to a plate in my skull, normal everyday life finally resumed.

After my initial recovery, I found myself very tired for 3 months, resumed working part time after 5 months and went back full time a month later. After the initial relief wore off, I found myself becoming very anxious if I got a dizzy spell or minor headache.

These anxious moments eventually disappeared and 10 years on I'm happy to say that I'm leading a normal healthy life. I feel very lucky after been originally given a 20% chance of survival, but thanks to the skill of my surgeon & the brilliant team in Beaumont, I'm still here :)

Best of luck during your recovery,
    Dilallio

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭dinjo99

Thanks Dilallio, you post is very reassuring. I was lucky not to need surgery.
    I agree that the stroke unit in Beaumont is brilliant, once you get through A&E.

Tiredness and some dizziness seems to be all I have one week after the event. Of course I'm scared that it might come back but fingers crossed.

Advertisement