Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blogger events and tax

Options
  • 06-06-2017 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys, I'm just a bit curious about whether the money bloggers make from hosting "fashion workshops" and "makeup masterclasses" is declared and taxed. I saw one blogger buy a new car after one of their workshops having said openly that they couldn't get finance due to the nature of their work. Those workshops generate a huge amount of cash and I'm just interested to see if this is going under the radar in terms of the tax they should be paying to the revenue. Would love to know if anyone knows anything about this. I probably sound disgruntled as I'm a public servant I suppose, but fair is fair and surely we all should pay our share, or am I wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

AFAIK, they have to declare income, same as any freelancer.
    Maybe they got a dig-out from family, who knows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Its treated as extra income and taxed (more or less). If you're going down that road I'd suggest you get an accountant to bring you through the details - will you register for VAT for example?

Get advice before, do a financial model and then see if its worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

IRE60 wrote: »
    Its treated as extra income and taxed (more or less). If you're going down that road I'd suggest you get an accountant to bring you through the details - will you register for VAT for example?

Get advice before, do a financial model and then see if its worth the effort.

I think the OP just wants to know if bloggers pay tax on these profitable events, rather then advice on what to do regarding hosting an event.

Are other private individuals tax affairs public? I know revenue publish the tax defaulter list but I wasn't aware if we have the right to know anyone else's tax affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Individuals tax affairs are completely private.

Any income you earn, from an event like that, would be taxable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,689 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It would be very foolish to hold an event like that and not declare it: revenue inspectors are very good at following up public events.
    And lots of blogging income has electronic paper trails, so is very hard to hide.

That said, especially with events there would be a lot of expenses that you could legitimately claim, too. So Profit may not be what you'd think it would be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement