Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receipts ?

Options
  • 06-06-2017 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

I did try the google machine but could find an answer to my question so thought the good people at boards would help

I travel a lot with work and tend to build up a lot of expenses. Being completely disorganised I carry an envelope in the laptop bag and throw my receipts in for the claim at the end of the month. Certain items such as flights etc are emailed to me and that's fine but I recently took a customer out for lunch in a cafe I went to pay by cash and asked for a receipt. I was told to get a receipt I'd need to provide my email address as they want to cut down on paper. I was surprised that they wouldn't provide a paper receipt so it got me thinking am I entitled to a paper receipt when I hand over cash/card in a retail outlet?

Meanwhile I'm waiting patiently for the spam to hit my inbox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Was this in Ireland or abroad?

I'm not 100% certain - but my understanding in Ireland is that you don't have to be given a receipt every time by default, but you are entitled to one if you ask.

In other countries around Europe, receipts are required by law.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Gmaximum

dudara wrote: »
    Was this in Ireland or abroad?

I'm not 100% certain - but my understanding in Ireland is that you don't have to be given a receipt every time by default, but you are entitled to one if you ask.

In other countries around Europe, receipts are required by law.
    It was in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Only experience I've had of this was Ryanair informing me they'd forward on a receipt by email (for a recent in-flight purchase), but I told them I wanted it at the point of sale, as I usually get expenses done within a day or so of getting home.

I use an app called Expensify which I find terrific - it categorises my expenses into hotels, flights, fuel, car rental, food & drink etc. & produces a report with pics of all receipts attached in PDF format.

https://www.expensify.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Gmaximum

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Only experience I've had of this was Ryanair informing me they'd forward on a receipt by email (for a recent in-flight purchase), but I told them I wanted it at the point of sale, as I usually get expenses done within a day or so of getting home.

I use an app called Expensify which I find terrific - it categorises my expenses into hotels, flights, fuel, car rental, food & drink etc. & produces a report with pics of all receipts attached in PDF format.

https://www.expensify.com/

Thanks, app looks good

Advertisement