Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a job for medical reasons

Options
  • 06-06-2017 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭

I have always had an issue with my back. I will need surgery before the year is out. I started a new job about 2.5 months ago. I've a lot of lifting - even though it's light it's still a strain for me bending. So much so I'm crying with the thoughts of going to work today. The pain gets very bad. My gp has given pain killers When I have the op I'll be out a long time. But I don't think I can last that long in work.
    If I left my job, would I be able to claim the dole? I'd be able for a non physical job. Would I be penalised for the 9 weeks for leaving, even though it's a genuine reason
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I was in the same position as yourself (different illness though)
    I got letters from my GP for roughly 3 weeks detailing my problems. I handed in my notice, requesting it be acted upon immediately.
    I took a week out to get myself together and applied to the SW.
    I was asked to write a letter confirming that i was sick but now available to work but in a different roll. I also had to show that I was looking for work.
    There was a 3 week wait in getting a payment.
    They took into account that I had been working since I was 20 with only a 2 month break taken after being made redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,922 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Maz2016 wrote:
    I have always had an issue with my back. I will need surgery before the year is out. I started a new job about 2.5 months ago. I've a lot of lifting - even though it's light it's still a strain for me bending. So much so I'm crying with the thoughts of going to work today. The pain gets very bad. My gp has given pain killers When I have the op I'll be out a long time. But I don't think I can last that long in work. If I left my job, would I be able to claim the dole? I'd be able for a non physical job. Would I be penalised for the 9 weeks for leaving, even though it's a genuine reason

You may qualify for 'illness benefit', your doctor would need to approve this. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 11,168 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You took the job knowing there may be lifting involved with a pre-existing condition, there may be some issue with this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

duploelabs wrote: »
    You took the job knowing there may be lifting involved with a pre-existing condition, there may be some issue with this

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

duploelabs wrote: »

You are right , I did but I was hoping I'd be able for it. I took the job as I didn't want to be on social welfare

• Advertisement

Maz2016 wrote: »
    You are right , I did but I was hoping I'd be able for it. I took the job as I didn't want to be on social welfare

I took a job that i knew would be stressful and physically overworked, this was after coming back from recurrent meningitis, a fractured back, depression and anxiety. None of it affected my claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

hairyslug wrote: »
    I took a job that i knew would be stressful and physically overworked, this was after coming back from recurrent meningitis, a fractured back, depression and anxiety. None of it affected my claim.

So did you just leave the job? And social welfare were ok with that?

Maz2016 wrote: »
    So did you just leave the job? And social welfare were ok with that?

Yeah, they did contact my boss to make sure I didn't just walk out and I got a call mid way through the process to go through everything that had happened and as to why I didn't wait to get a new job and what action I was taking to get a new job, they had me down to be reinterviewed 8 weeks after being approved to make sure I was taking adequate steps to get a job.

Advertisement