Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I get an MMA fight?

Options
  • 05-06-2017 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I've been doing Martial Arts (Karate and Boxing since I was 8) and started Mixed Martial Arts two years ago.. I've always wanted to compete but I don't know how I get myself a fight. Just out of curiosity, do amateurs get any money from fighting? I see lads trying hard to sell tickets but I hear amateurs don't get anything from it.. so I don't get why they try that hard. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

If you've been doing MMA for 2yrs speak to your coach

• Registered Users Posts: 3 HowItIsUnder

Well the issue is, I'm in a fairly large gym and my main coach seems to train with all the pros, so should I speak to one of the amateur coaches who I don't really train with or one of the main coaches and hope that they can help me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

Well the issue is, I'm in a fairly large gym and my main coach seems to train with all the pros, so should I speak to one of the amateur coaches who I don't really train with or one of the main coaches and hope that they can help me out.

Speak to one of them I'm sure they'll point you in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Is this thread serious? I find it hard to believe someone is training 2 years and doesnt know how to go about getting a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Gamebred wrote: »
    Is this thread serious? I find it hard to believe someone is training 2 years and doesnt know how to go about getting a fight.

to be fair Conor has been in the game years and he's struggling to get one at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

You should speak to whoever coaches the MMA classes that you go to. They will put you on the right track.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Jesus 7 posts in before someone mentions Conor...the hype train is gone lads...

Anyways OP getting fights are simple enough...onto twitter with ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,730 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Must be a harmless enough head coach if you find him unapproachable enough to ask a simple question.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,040 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Who coaches you? Speak to him about it.
    You mention karate/boxing. Do you train grappling also? I know plenty of people who "do MMA" but only seam to turn up for boxing/Muay Thai/sparring sessions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

I'm sure he just doesn't want his coach to know his business.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,040 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

califano wrote: »
    I'm sure he just doesn't want his coach to know his business.
    Huh? What business do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Mellor wrote: »
    Huh? What business do you mean?

Just joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭creeper1

I think it's fair to say that there is no money in sports except for the very few at the elite level.

Take all the Olympic sports, there isn't any money in any of them as far as I can see. That includes amateur boxing. Different countries will provide different stipends I guess but nobody should go into a sport like boxing expecting to earn like Floyd.

I think you'd need to medal at the Olympics as a first step and take it from there.

So why on earth does someone put a lot of work into something that ultimately probably won't deliver any financial reward? They feel a passion for it. Maybe they want to better a rival from a different club or they get some kind of social buzz from it.

Most people just think they are crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

As above, speak to the coach who teaches the MMA classes that you attend. He would have the best idea of your level. Let your coach know you are interested in fighting and they will give you feedback as to where you are in relation to your goal, and the next steps to progress.

Amateur fighters do not get a fight purse. But can sometimes get a share a tickets that they sell.

Some shows would cover travel, accommodation and food costs depending on the promotion and distance travelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Gamebred wrote: »

I barely train striking and I get offered fights every few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Icelandicseige

As above, speak to the coach who teaches the MMA classes that you attend. He would have the best idea of your level. Let your coach know you are interested in fighting and they will give you feedback as to where you are in relation to your goal, and the next steps to progress.

Amateur fighters do not get a fight purse. But can sometimes get a share a tickets that they sell.

Some shows would cover travel, accommodation and food costs depending on the promotion and distance travelled.

There was a competition in my area when I was after been training a few months the coach was going around asking who would be interested in fighting when he asked me I said I would if he taught I was ready. He said 'Tis you who"ll be getting in the ring. Not Me! Ha..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Different coaches have different styles. But all coaches should be approachable.

If you don't get a clear answer just follow it up with him, let him know you want to fight and if he thinks you are ready. If he does ask him to start looking for fighters for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

There was a competition in my area when I was after been training a few months the coach was going around asking who would be interested in fighting when he asked me I said I would if he taught I was ready. He said 'Tis you who"ll be getting in the ring. Not Me! Ha..

Some coaches take the approach of when you're ready you'll ask. Only you know how you feel about it and some people just want to train. If you think you're ready go ask for a fight there's always something coming up soon.

Advertisement