Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Firefox Is Slow And Lagging

• 04-06-2017 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ darrenw5O94

Help, when i browse with Firefox the whole thing goes slow. It takes seconds to respond and i get the 'Firefox Not Responding' message quite a lot.

This doesn't happen with Internet Explorer or Chrome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭ FanadMan

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling FF? Or booting to safe mode and trying it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭ darrenw5O94

FanadMan wrote: »
    Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling FF? Or booting to safe mode and trying it there?

Good point, I thought about uninstalling it, but didn't actually do it.

Probably give it a go now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 me_irl

Just as an addition, ensure you're installing the correct version (32/64 bit)!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,108 ✭✭✭✭ HeidiHeidi

I had that for the last while and it drove me absolutely nuts - thought it was my ancient laptop and/or the wifi in the house.

Got a new laptop (not just because of that!) and FF was exactly the same.

Moved to Chrome.

One thing I've noticed in FF too is that you need to change the Network settings.

So, double check in Options - Advanced - Network - Settings (underneath "Configure How FF connects to the internet").

Check that Auto Detect or Use System Settings is enabled.

• Advertisement

Went into Control Panel and uninstalled a dodgey piece of software called 'AlphaGo' and now it runs smoothly again.

Went into Control Panel and uninstalled a dodgey piece of software called 'AlphaGo' and now it runs smoothly again.

Seems like that was an adware / malware program! Ensure your device is still clean of it by doing a virus/malware scan.

Removing it from the list of installed programs might not fully remove it from your system.

Better safe!

I might take up the 1 year subscription of Malware Bytes to check it completely. My free trial ran out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ ItHurtsWhenIP

I might take up the 1 year subscription of Malware Bytes to check it completely. My free trial ran out.

You can still use Malwarebytes free to scan and remove crap (Anti-Malware/Ant-Spyware/Anti-Rootkit). The free trial is for additional services like Real-Time protection, Anti-Ransomware, etc.

You can still use Malwarebytes free to scan and remove crap (Anti-Malware/Ant-Spyware/Anti-Rootkit). The free trial is for additional services like Real-Time protection, Anti-Ransomware, etc.
    thanks for that info.....i thought i needed a subscription to do that.
    Running a scan atm.

• Advertisement

51 threats that had to be quarantined. Laptop is about 3 weeks old

51 threats that had to be quarantined. Laptop is about 3 weeks old

Just a wee tip, add an ad blocker (I recommend uBlock Origin) to your browsers.

Firefox link: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

Advertisement