Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords leisure battery

Options
  • 04-06-2017 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Halfords have their 115a leisure battery on sale at the moment.

I've been researching solar panel charging for camping but don't feel like I've researched the panel/controller enough to pull the trigger yet.

Would this battery be ok if I bought and left it for up to 3 months? (I won't use it)

Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Halfords have their 115a leisure battery on sale at the moment.

I've been researching solar panel charging for camping but don't feel like I've researched the panel/controller enough to pull the trigger yet.

Would this battery be ok if I bought and left it for up to 3 months? (I won't use it)

Thanks,
    There were posts on this battery here a while back. I have one and it is excellent value for money. I suppose if you stored it for three months fully charged it would be ok But why not wait and buy when you need it? Warranty would be extended by that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

It's on sale for €83 at the moment.

I have been reading so much I might be confusing it with something else, I thought I read until I broke the seal it doesn't activate, so doesn't need charging, can't find where I read that.

It's on sale for €83 at the moment.

I have been reading so much I might be confusing it with something else, I thought I read until I broke the seal it doesn't activate, so doesn't need charging, can't find where I read that.
    At that price it is a giveaway.

It's only a give away if I can not charge or use it for about three months when I get the controller and solar panel, otherwise it will be an expensive and heavy door stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

I would say there is no issue at all storing a new fully charged battery for three months. Just keep it in doors and up off the ground.

Bigger question is it any good?

At €83 it's half the cost of a Banner with the same AH.

• Advertisement

nailer8 wrote: »
    I would say there is no issue at all storing a new fully charged battery for three months. Just keep it in doors and up off the ground.

Bigger question is it any good?

I've two in my van and find them excellent.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99580636

That's the one, thanks for your time, I read so much about 6v 12v wet traction leisure starter batteries it all sorry of merged into one.

I could give you the short reply or the long one.

Short reply:

EcoPulse-Controller-10A-metered-dark-green-caption-MM.png

Long reply:

yawnsmiley.gif

Just keep it in doors and up off the ground.

Temperature affects discharge capacity (increased internal resistance), but it doesn't discharge batteries.

957217?$pm_large$
    Halfords 115Ah

Weight: 26.4kg,
    300 cycles.
    214kWh Lifetime
    €83.00

€0.39 per extracted kWh over lifetime.

bannerlow.jpg
    Banner 115Ah

Weight: 29.87kg:
    250 cycles.
    178kWh lifetime
    €161.50

€0.91 per extracted kWh over lifetime.

s-l200.jpg
    Trojan T 105:

Weight: 28kg
    1200 cycles.
    €165.00
    850kWh lifetime

€0.14 per extracted kWh over lifetime.

I thought I read until I broke the seal it doesn't activate, so doesn't need charging

Chemistry is inert before first discharge or when specific gravity is ≥1.280

Thanks, read a lot of your stuff on here, good stuff,

I'd been looking at the morningstar sunsaver controllers you were suggesting with a victron monitor, was trying to get my head round that. That link looks much easier.

I'd read some of what you wrote about those batteries, looks good, the only downside for me is needing 2, the outlay of €300+, i'd like to learn on something a bit cheaper.

The panel, those 175w ones from bimblesolar look lovely and cheap, i would need to look at mounting it on top of a roofrack on the car (not sure if i can), possibly leaving it on the car, or something smaller, i may be able to get away with a folding 80/100w panel, not sure.

It's for camping, mainly to run a mobicool fr40 which i think will draw less than 1Ah/h, lights, phone/tablet 3A a day.

a victron monitor, was trying to get my head round that. That link looks much easier.

The display on the solar controller is for programming it's not a battery monitor and it should live within 1.5m (cable length) of the battery. It only displays solar gain and controlled load consumption. I still recommend having a shunted battery monitor with it.

Those 175W may be dodgies.
    For instance this in not a DC Rated switch

I don't recommend the Victron BMV. I've never tried it. It's just an option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement