Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VFR airplane doing stunts etc

Options
  • 04-06-2017 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just happened to witness a single engine airplane over Meath doing stunts, barrell rolls etc below the clouds around Canaross North of Kells, Co Meath. This was between 2pm and 2.20pm today, Sunday.

There's no issue at all, but I'm just wondering if there is any restrictions on this type of activity in general?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 snaproll

There are no restrictions at all. It could be a practice flight or it could be a display on in that area..
    If it's a display a permit would have been issued by FOD In the IAA.
    Simple as that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭jleavy046

snaproll wrote: »
    There are no restrictions at all. It could be a practice flight or it could be a display on in that area..
    If it's a display a permit would have been issued by FOD In the IAA.
    Simple as that!

It was only one aircraft; no displays in the area.

I thought there was something about altitude and farm animals however I may be mistaken.

Thanks

Once its carried out at a safe altitude and within the capabilities of the pilot.
    500' is the minimum height for aerobatics and they can't or should'nt be carried over a built up area.

Once its carried out at a safe altitude and within the capabilities of the pilot.
    500' is the minimum height for aerobatics and they can't or should'nt be carried over a built up area.

Thanks. It seemed lower then 500 to be honest as clouds bases seem like but I'd have no idea.

Anyway, good information... !!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭yaeger

Athboy airshow today ! That would explain it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Indeed that was for Athboy and was NOTAMed, as it happens above or vicinity of the airfield, 500ft rule doesn't apply

Yep should have said that in my post the 500' rule is for off field displays, the height over the airfield depends then on the pilots DA.
    Though DA"s are not a requirement anymore here.

yaeger wrote: »
    Athboy airshow today ! That would explain it.

Ahhhhh..... That totally explains it! He/she was warming up

Yep should have said that in my post the 500' rule is for off field displays, the height over the airfield depends then on the pilots DA.
    Though DA"s are not a requirement anymore here.

Not sure what DA's but thanks for the information. God bless boards.ie

Any one go to Athboy to see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

jleavy046 wrote: »
    Not sure what DA's but thanks for the information. God bless boards.ie

Any one go to Athboy to see it?

some of us were trying to but got spun around Wicklow mountains a bit too much for our liking to go the full way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

It was a great day at Athboy , Eddie goggins put his CAP232,G-IIAI, through its paces. Also displaying was an Irish Historic flight chipmunk and Gerry Humphreys. Plenty of visiting aircraft to including a beatiful Pitts Special G-OWTF

Advertisement