Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contactless card etiquette

Options
  • 04-06-2017 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

I find contactless to be useful, I use it everyday, but I can't remember the last time I actually scanned the card myself. The cashier will almost always take the card and scan it for me, sometimes out of sight, and often without even asking if I want it scanned or inserted into the machine. Anyone have an issue with this?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Yeah, have noticed this too in certain places. I prefer it when the cashier passes the machine although it doesn't overly bother me if they take the card..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I've always been asked if I mind it being tapped

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Anyone have an issue with this?

It's against the terms of use that retailers have to agree to when getting the card readers. The owner of the card must be holding the card when using contactless payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

GarIT wrote:
    It's against the terms of use that retailers have to agree to when getting the card readers. The owner of the card must be holding the card when using contactless payments.

Wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm not a big user of contactless but anywhere I have used it (Ireland, USA, Denmark), the machine was right in front of me on the counter or mounted on a stand and I was expected to do the necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

coylemj wrote: »
    I'm not a big user of contactless but anywhere I have used it (Ireland, USA, Denmark), the machine was right in front of me on the counter or mounted on a stand and I was expected to do the necessary.

Lots of Irish shops have them installed wrong with the machine mounted till side so the cashier inserts then lifts and gives it to you rather than you doing it all. Especially prevalent in restaurants etc where EPOS isn't auto populating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Mr.H wrote: »
    Wrong

I have it here in front of me with worldpay who provide my machines, maybe others are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

GarIT wrote: »
    I have it here in front of me with worldpay who provide my machines, maybe others are different.

I'm very certain the MasterCard and Visa rules also say it, which means all the merchant banks must impose it as a condition on all merchants.

It's why I prefer Android pay. It's extremely rare any cashier really expects me to give them my phone, and I don't feel silly refusing when they do — if they dropped it (which over 1000s of transactions is bound to happen eventually) whose going to fix it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭wordofwarning

I don't see what the big fuss is. I know some people have notions, that their card will be skimmed with the cashier in front of them. You get the odd bizarre post on here about people being outraged with their bank giving them a contactless card.

I don't know why anyone with a contactless card would want to use pin and card. It is slow and there is fees for it. People instead of giving out to the cashier for trying to move things on quicker and using contactless. If you want to use chip and pin, ask for it before handing your card over. To me it makes no sense for cashier to ask everyone would they like to use chip & pin or contactless for the odd customer who wants to use chip & pin. It is like handing over a €50 note and expecting the cashier to ask if you would like to pay with cash

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I don't know why anyone with a contactless card would want to use pin and card.

With most Irish banks it has the distinct advantage of instantly appearing on your balance instead of five days later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

I always tell them upfront they can tap it. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Always get the receipt and check it against purchases

• Registered Users Posts: 5 twee1984

what's the point in a card receipt print out with contactless?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

For contactless, I prefer to tap the card myself, but if the cashier does it in front of me as the card terminal is on her side, it's not a problem.

What annoys me is the shops where the cashier wants you to shove your card in the slot and enter a PIN, when it's a transaction under €30 and you can see that the terminal accepts contactless.

Advertisement