Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a word to describe a person with a false sense of importance?

Options
  • 03-06-2017 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]For example: Someone borrowed money from me and when I've asked for it back they said that although I gave them the money as a gift they will pay me back out of good will. [/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Now that person is going around telling everyone the story and people are responding to that person "You're too nice" that it was a gift and if it was them they wouldn't pay.[/font]

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I can think of a few words (mostly four letter) but I would always have described someone who has such airs as having misplaced confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Two words, actually. Conor McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]For example: Someone borrowed money from me and when I've asked for it back they said that although I gave them the money as a gift they will pay me back out of good will. [/font]
    [font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Now that person is going around telling everyone the story and people are responding to that person "You're too nice" that it was a gift and if it was them they wouldn't pay.[/font]

Haughtiness, pompous, presumptuous, pretentious well rounded prat.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

judeboy101 wrote:

Bitter much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

A Trumpeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Free-2-Flow

judeboy101 wrote:

Seriously? I hope you're not a full grown adult because that would be embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭phater phagan

aggrandisement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

You know the wrong people.

Narcissist would probably be the word that covers this attitude.
    narcissism
    noun: narcissism
    excessive interest in or admiration of oneself and one's physical appearance.
    PSYCHOLOGY
    extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type.
    PSYCHOANALYSIS
    self-centredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Narcissist was the word that occurred to me too, though I am not sure you can apply the term on the basis of one incident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

arrogant

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

For example: Someone borrowed money from me and when I've asked for it back they said that although I gave them the money as a gift they will pay me back out of good will.

Now that person is going around telling everyone the story and people are responding to that person "You're too nice" that it was a gift and if it was them they wouldn't pay.

I'd call that person a liar, a chancer, a scrounger and a parasite. And someone to whom you should never lend any monies ever again.

Other than that, I'd say condescending and contemptuous would fit the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would also call them delusional, if they believed a loan to be a gift

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

For example: Someone borrowed money from me and when I've asked for it back they said that although I gave them the money as a gift they will pay me back out of good will. Now that person is going around telling everyone the story and people are responding to that person "You're too nice" that it was a gift and if it was them they wouldn't pay.

It depends. How did they get the impression it was a gift and how much money was it?

Mod: Lets not go down the PI route, it is interesting and relevant enough to try and find a word that describes the person in the OP, but just use the information given to come up with suggestions. Unfortunately most of the best offerings require a short description and a couple of swear words :D

'Ingrate' goes some way towards the meaning.

I'm sticking with narcissist, because of the fact that the "borrower" manages to get others to believe that she or he is the injured party.

I encountered a guy once who borrowed a load of money from the staff credit union (while a casual worker), gambled it, won a pile back and when walking around with it sticking out of his breast pocket was asked when he was going to pay back the credit union. He laughed, astonished at the idea. All casuals were barred from membership of the credit union after that, because they couldn't get the money back by garnishing his wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

cadger, scrounger, sponger, toucher, nobler, chancer, ingrate.

Ligger, latchico…

Advertisement