Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contacting half-siblings

Options
  • 03-06-2017 4:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭

I was adopted in the 1960's. In the 1990's I was reunited with my birth mother and we enjoyed a good relationship until her death a few years ago. She told me the identity of my biological father, and that he had died shortly before my birth mother and I were reunited. He was married with a wife and family when he and my birth mother were in their relationship. I have often thought about contacting his family - my half-siblings - who are on Facebook, but I have been reluctant to do so and because I don't know what I would write in a letter to them. (I believe an old-fashioned, reliable letter would be the most suitable way to make contact with them in a matter such as this as opposed to using Facebook or any other form of electronic/digital media to do this). His children have families of their own and one of them has a grandchild who looks very like one of my own children. My wife keeps telling me to go ahead and write to them and that I've nothing to lose by doing so and then, if I don't get any reply, I can then say that at least I've tried to make contact.
    Does anyone here have any ideas about what I should write in a letter to my half-siblings?
    Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Up Donegal wrote: »
    I was adopted in the 1960's. In the 1990's I was reunited with my birth mother and we enjoyed a good relationship until her death a few years ago. She told me the identity of my biological father, and that he had died shortly before my birth mother and I were reunited. He was married with a wife and family when he and my birth mother were in their relationship. I have often thought about contacting his family - my half-siblings - who are on Facebook, but I have been reluctant to do so and because I don't know what I would write in a letter to them. (I believe an old-fashioned, reliable letter would be the most suitable way to make contact with them in a matter such as this as opposed to using Facebook or any other form of electronic/digital media to do this). His children have families of their own and one of them has a grandchild who looks very like one of my own children. My wife keeps telling me to go ahead and write to them and that I've nothing to lose by doing so and then, if I don't get any reply, I can then say that at least I've tried to make contact.
    Does anyone here have any ideas about what I should write in a letter to my half-siblings?
    Thanks in Advance.

Is his wife still alive? If so it could be upsetting if she finds out her husband had an affair (if she didn't know already). I'd still say to send a letter anyway simply saying you have been told that xy was your dad and you would like to meet or talk if they are willing. I'd say it will come as a shock that he had an affair but hopefully they will get over that. You have nothing to lose by writing to them.

Advertisement