Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sceptical about maths.

Options
  • 03-06-2017 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I've been skimming through higher level maths for two years now and fear is really messing with my mind.
    I have not really done too well with maths. I failed extremely badly in my mock exams, 9%. I've since then gotten grinds and worked a bit myself. A month later, I had a second mock which was a mixture of both paper 1 and 2, and got 29%. I'm beginning to suspect that I need to drop before I ruin my morale for the entire leaving certificate. I've been working moderately in maths, but I've neglected a few subjects as a result of trying to improve for a pass. Would I be better off now to take the OL paper? I wouldn't want to bank on a paper that I can do next Friday and Monday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 danwaffles

I've been skimming through higher level maths for two years now and fear is really messing with my mind.
    I have not really done too well with maths. I failed extremely badly in my mock exams, 9%. I've since then gotten grinds and worked a bit myself. A month later, I had a second mock which was a mixture of both paper 1 and 2, and got 29%. I'm beginning to suspect that I need to drop before I ruin my morale for the entire leaving certificate. I've been working moderately in maths, but I've neglected a few subjects as a result of trying to improve for a pass. Would I be better off now to take the OL paper? I wouldn't want to bank on a paper that I can do next Friday and Monday.

I've done very little work in HL maths over the past two years. Got 26% in the Mocks, wasn't surprised. Was seriously thinking about dropping to ordinary a month ago, but the course is a little different, meaning they do stuff in OL maths that's not on the HL course. If you are decent at maths and you did drop, you probably would get a decent grade, say 60% mark, but I don't expect anything like a H1 or H2, purely because there's stuff in the exam you would have never learnt. Last run advice for HL maths, nail calculus down, do some complex numbers and trig identifies. For paper two probability and coordinate geometry, and constructions. I'm not an expert or anything but that's what I'm doing and I'm pretty confident I'll get at least 40% or a H6, which is 71 points, which is better than anything you can get at OL.

Advertisement