Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Erasmus in Germany

• 02-06-2017 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I will be doing an Erasmus in Dusseldorf, Germany for the duration of the 2017/18 academic year.

Has anyone studied here, either Dusseldorf or Germant in general? What were the costs like? Were student jobs easy to come by? How much did it improve you German? I guess I'm just looking for general feedback, as I'm not too sure what to expect!

Thanks very any help given.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Hi guys,

I will be doing an Erasmus in Dusseldorf, Germany for the duration of the 2017/18 academic year.

Has anyone studied here, either Dusseldorf or Germant in general? What were the costs like? Were student jobs easy to come by? How much did it improve you German? I guess I'm just looking for general feedback, as I'm not too sure what to expect!

Thanks very any help given.

Dusseldorf is number 6 in the World for Quality of Life on the Mercer Index.

You can get a student travel pass which is valid for all of NRW

Public Transport is excellent, you could live in the more hipster district of Flingern-Nord or Bilk/Unterbilk if you want some nice areas.

Or live in the party area, Altstadt.

You'd get a room in a flatshare for around 250-350 euros in a decent area :)

http://www.wg-gesucht.de/wg-zimmer-in-Duesseldorf.30.0.1.0.html?offer_filter=1&stadt_key=30&sort_column=&sort_order=&category=0&autocompinp=D%C3%BCsseldorf&countrymanuel=&city_id=30&rent_type=0&sMin=&rMax=&dFr=&hidden_dFrDe=&dTo=&hidden_dToDe=&radLat=&radLng=&radAdd=&radDis=0&wgFla=0&wgSea=0&wgSmo=0&wgAge=&wgMnF=0&wgMxT=0&sin=0&exc=0&hidden_rmMin=0&hidden_rmMax=0&pet=0&fur=0

Eating and Drinking out in Comparison to Ireland are very cheap.

There are direct flights to/from Dusseldorf to Dublin and Cork (Aer Lingus/Eurowings)
    Cologne Airport also goes to Dublin (Ryanair)

Also Dusseldorf HBF is one of the best connected railway stations in the North West of Germany.

Search for these Facebook groups:
    Neu in Dusseldorf
    Expats in Dusseldorf
    düsseldorf-international students-searching for a flat/room share/apt.
    couchsurfing düsseldorf

Almost everyone speaks English as it's a pretty international city, but you can speak/learn German if you so choose to :)

Herzlich wilkommen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

redcup342 wrote: »
    Dusseldorf is number 6 in the World for Quality of Life on the Mercer Index.

You can get a student travel pass which is valid for all of NRW

Public Transport is excellent, you could live in the more hipster district of Flingern-Nord or Bilk/Unterbilk if you want some nice areas.

Or live in the party area, Altstadt.

You'd get a room in a flatshare for around 250-350 euros in a decent area :)

http://www.wg-gesucht.de/wg-zimmer-in-Duesseldorf.30.0.1.0.html?offer_filter=1&stadt_key=30&sort_column=&sort_order=&category=0&autocompinp=D%C3%BCsseldorf&countrymanuel=&city_id=30&rent_type=0&sMin=&rMax=&dFr=&hidden_dFrDe=&dTo=&hidden_dToDe=&radLat=&radLng=&radAdd=&radDis=0&wgFla=0&wgSea=0&wgSmo=0&wgAge=&wgMnF=0&wgMxT=0&sin=0&exc=0&hidden_rmMin=0&hidden_rmMax=0&pet=0&fur=0

Eating and Drinking out in Comparison to Ireland are very cheap.

There are direct flights to/from Dusseldorf to Dublin and Cork (Aer Lingus/Eurowings)
    Cologne Airport also goes to Dublin (Ryanair)

Also Dusseldorf HBF is one of the best connected railway stations in the North West of Germany.

Search for these Facebook groups:
    Neu in Dusseldorf
    Expats in Dusseldorf
    düsseldorf-international students-searching for a flat/room share/apt.
    couchsurfing düsseldorf

Almost everyone speaks English as it's a pretty international city, but you can speak/learn German if you so choose to :)

Herzlich wilkommen :)

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply, that information is really helpful.

With regards to student jobs, do you have any idea how difficult it is to get part time work? I speak fairly okay German although I am by no means fluent. I have worked part time in a shop for the past 2 years, that's pretty much the extent of my experience. I'm also supposed to complete an internship there as part of my degree, so if you know of any companies which would be good for a business studies student, please recommend them.

Do you have any experience with Heinrich heine University?

Thanks again for the info, much appreciated :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Hi,

Thanks very much for your reply, that information is really helpful.

With regards to student jobs, do you have any idea how difficult it is to get part time work? I speak fairly okay German although I am by no means fluent. I have worked part time in a shop for the past 2 years, that's pretty much the extent of my experience. I'm also supposed to complete an internship there as part of my degree, so if you know of any companies which would be good for a business studies student, please recommend them.

Do you have any experience with Heinrich heine University?

Thanks again for the info, much appreciated :)

I sent you a DM with some Working Student Jobs in Dusseldorf.

Also if you are looking for part time work you could always try the Irish bars in Alt-Stadt, there's a good few of them.

https://www.google.de/maps/search/irish+bar/@51.2265597,6.7743485,18.04z?hl=en

I know Fattys are always looking for people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭De Bild

redcup342 wrote: »
    I sent you a DM with some Working Student Jobs in Dusseldorf.

Also if you are looking for part time work you could always try the Irish bars in Alt-Stadt, there's a good few of them.

I know Fattys are always looking for people.

Yes this is true.

Advertisement