Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Fees

Options
  • 01-06-2017 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi I've seen similar posts but nothing that's my exact situation!

I'm a mature student applying for a level 8 course. Today I had my interview (it went well 😊) but was told that often people with a degree from previous studies (I have an ordinary bachelor level 7) would have to pay the college fees for the first 3 years.

I was told by citizens information that my fees would be covered by the susi grant given my circumstances. Now I've been looking around online, and will get on to Susi in the morning but there's a lot of information about college fees.

Some saying that even with a previous degree I may be eligible for the fees to be paid. Has anyone else had this experience?

I'm literally broke so I've applied to susi to have my fees paid (being assessed) and can receive the BTEA. I'm just wondering if it's possible to be so broke that I qualify for financial aid but not to have my fees paid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 philderbeast

Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to get a SUSI grant. I'm pretty sure a level 8 is still counted as an undergraduate course. (If you are applying for an undergraduate course and you have already completed an undergraduate course, you are not eligible for either a student grant or free fees.)

I had an awful time dealing with SUSI last year which ended with me having to drop out of my course as they refused to cover the contribution or fee's. This took more than 6 months for them to come to this decision after numerous appeals and request for every document under the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Cupcakery

Unfortunately I don't think you will be able to get a SUSI grant. I'm pretty sure a level 8 is still counted as an undergraduate course. (If you are applying for an undergraduate course and you have already completed an undergraduate course, you are not eligible for either a student grant or free fees.)

I had an awful time dealing with SUSI last year which ended with me having to drop out of my course as they refused to cover the contribution or fee's. This took more than 6 months for them to come to this decision after numerous appeals and request for every document under the sun.

Sorry to hear :( Sugar off to the credit union with me so! I thought I would get the fees covered at least as I've applied and they asked for some documentation and also when I did the eligibility reckoner on their website it said I was eligible. I know I won't get the full grant because I will get the BTEA. I was just hoping the fees would be covered! Would I be right in saying I'd have to pay the fees and contribution for the first 3 years so?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 philderbeast

Cupcakery wrote: »
    Sorry to hear :( Sugar off to the credit union with me so! I thought I would get the fees covered at least as I've applied and they asked for some documentation and also when I did the eligibility reckoner on their website it said I was eligible. I know I won't get the full grant because I will get the BTEA. I was just hoping the fees would be covered! Would I be right in saying I'd have to pay the fees and contribution for the first 3 years so?

I hope for your sake I am wrong as It really all comes down to what SUSI say. I just wouldn't hold my breath expecting anything from them. If your experience is anything like mine they tend to find any excuse not to pay up. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭doc22

you'll get the grant but you won't get BTEA for a brand new lvl8 degree only a year add on

doc22 wrote: »
    you'll get the grant but you won't get BTEA for a brand new lvl8 degree only a year add on

So I'd get the full maintenance grant for the four years? See I'm currently on carers allowance so I was told to apply for susi to have my fees paid (not sure if I can get the full four years of fees?) and get payments from the BTEA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭doc22

So I'd get the full maintenance grant for the four years? See I'm currently on carers allowance so I was told to apply for susi to have my fees paid (not sure if I can get the full four years of fees?) and get payments from the BTEA.

I don't know about carers allowance perhaps you could claim both carers and grant without having to apply for BTEA. I don't know. goodluck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Hi I've seen similar posts but nothing that's my exact situation!

I'm a mature student applying for a level 8 course. Today I had my interview (it went well 😊) but was told that often people with a degree from previous studies (I have an ordinary bachelor level 7) would have to pay the college fees for the first 3 years.

I was told by citizens information that my fees would be covered by the susi grant given my circumstances. Now I've been looking around online, and will get on to Susi in the morning but there's a lot of information about college fees.

Some saying that even with a previous degree I may be eligible for the fees to be paid. Has anyone else had this experience?

I'm literally broke so I've applied to susi to have my fees paid (being assessed) and can receive the BTEA. I'm just wondering if it's possible to be so broke that I qualify for financial aid but not to have my fees paid?

You can be eligible to study for a maximum of 8 years at undergraduate level.
    4 years at undergraduate Level 6 and 7 combined
    4 years at Level 8.

As you already have a Level 7, you can study for 4 years at Level 8 and be eligible for grant assistance.

AFAIK, you must be available to care for the person that you've been designated as carer and if you are to attend full-time studies, you may not be eligible for carer's allowance. You would have to check this with DSP.

But, as you were in receipt of carer's allowance and if you do not qualify for BTEA, you may qualify for the special rate maintenance grant if your reckonable income is below the income threshold for special rates.

Sup08 wrote: »
    You can be eligible to study for a maximum of 8 years at undergraduate level.
    4 years at undergraduate Level 6 and 7 combined
    4 years at Level 8.

As you already have a Level 7, you can study for 4 years at Level 8 and be eligible for grant assistance.

AFAIK, you must be available to care for the person that you've been designated as carer and if you are to attend full-time studies, you may not be eligible for carer's allowance. You would have to check this with DSP.

But, as you were in receipt of carer's allowance and if you do not qualify for BTEA, you may qualify for the special rate maintenance grant if your reckonable income is below the income threshold for special rates.

That is super helpful thank you so much! I've gotten on to all relevant parties and I'm just waiting on replies about being qualified. I've been given some misinformation before applying and while I'm waiting so I was just getting a bit worried :)

Thanks again!!

Advertisement