Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keeping up to date with Linux changes

Options
  • 01-06-2017 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've been using Linux for a good while now (probably since openSUSE 10 back in 2006?) and have settled on Debian testing for the last few years.

However, I'm starting to notice that the tools I've been using for general maintenance are being depreciated.
    e.g. You should use apt install package rather than apt-get install package. and systemctl instead of service, journalctl instead of dmesg, ?? instead of ifconfig
    I don't mind learning the new way of doing things so is there any good resources to keep up with this, in a not too technical way.
    Or could you list some of the more important changes I might have missed.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 gearoid!

Deprecated on Debian? I used Linuxmint, which is based on Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is based on Debian. 
    apt and apt-get works both on my Linuxmint machine and also with service and systemctl.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

systemctl refers to systemd, a controversial new tool! It's a huge change to the way everything works and has lots of people complaining.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systemd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I'm not sure apt-get is being deprecated. I always felt "apt install" was used interactively and "apt-get install" was more for scripting. Also, apt is a wrapper for apt-get so I am pretty sure it won't be going anywhere soon.

The systemd saga was noisy for a while a year or two ago, especially when Debian decided to move to it. I could see both sides of the argument but in reality, although systemd is used on later OSs the old commands still do work (no binary log files either, much to everyones joy!)

Still, if you don't fancy Debian 9 you could try Devuan ( https://devuan.org/ ). This is a Debian fork without systemd and just recently went 1.0. It's a fork of Jessie so don't expect Stretch soon.

In relation to keeping up with things: I have a hour each way commute so I listen to a fair few podcasts. This keeps me up to date with all the latest info and the ones I listen to don't get too bogged down on nitty gritty technical aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Dero

azzeretti wrote: »
    In relation to keeping up with things: I have a hour each way commute so I listen to a fair few podcasts. This keeps me up to date with all the latest info and the ones I listen to don't get too bogged down on nitty gritty technical aspects.

Do you mind me asking what Podcasts you listen to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

Maybe depreciated is too strong? Just based that on error messages coming back. Id also me interested in those podcasts

• Advertisement
Advertisement