Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleggan and Inishbofin airstrips

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

country is overloaded with airports and there is no appetite for the local County Council to take them on. Galway airport is idle and if you couldn't make money out of an airport serving Galway...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

A more interesting question would be to ask why the people running the service to the Aran islands felt it necessary to move out of Galway to their own facility in the back of nowhere. A long time ago, (Back in the days of F50 pso services ) I was involved for a number of months with some work at Galway Airport, and it would be fair to say that the politics of Galway airport were a minefield of aggravation that were a factor in the project I was involved with not being able to succeed.

That said, there are other aspects to the runway and airport at Galway that meant it was never going to be able to operate in the ways that Knock and Kerry do, and to make jet services possible at Galway would have meant massive money being injected, and with the advent of the motorway, that was a lot less likely.

Galway could have continued to operate, but not as it was structured.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

they could have at least opened Inishbofin for GA as an unlicensed, unmanned "land at your own risk" strip. The money is already spent on it, why not use it? it would attract some business to the island too

What would make sense to me is if Aer Arann take up services to Inishbofin via Cleggan. As I understand it, Connemara airport was set up because most of the islanders (who use the aircraft the most) have more business in Rossaveal (where the ferry lands) than in Galway city, and having it there would mean going into the city, then crossing it to get back out to Ross.

It could be a case of running services from Connemara airport-Inishbofin, but having the strip close to the ferry in case of cancellation would be the desired state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Recently saw this. IIRC all involved in the development were killed in a crash at Connemara Airport, Inverin. Terrible tragedy. I do hope we see these as operational airfields eventually, especially with Cleggan being close to the landing site of Alcock & Brown, & that centenary approaching in 2019. http://galwaybayfm.ie/one-hundred-submissions-future-inishbofin-cleggan-airstrips/

There were 2 fatalities (the pilot and a passenger sitting immediately behind him), the other 7 on board were seriously injured but survived.

• Advertisement
Advertisement