Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scholarships for pilots

Options
  • 31-05-2017 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi I'm in secondary school at the moment and my dream is to become a pilot when I leave school, I would like to fly for Aer Lingus or Ryanair and the only problem is money. Do airlines do something like scholarship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bpunlimited

Stynes wrote: »
    Hi I'm in secondary school at the moment and my dream is to become a pilot when I leave school, I would like to fly for Aer Lingus or Ryanair and the only problem is money. Do airlines do something like scholarship

Aer Lingus have a cadet programme but getting accepted into it is like winning the lottery. Applications for the current year are closed now.
    Not sure about Ryanair however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Ryanair don't do scholarships, but don't let the money become a showstopper. If you're just in your secondary school, focus on finishing school with good grades and see what other career options you might take up, work and save. Most people do it this way. Yes there are a few lucky ones with rich parents who can send their kids to glamorous integrated schools, but most are not like that. I just finished Bristol Groundschool for my ATPLs and I think the youngest person I met was a 23-year old. Most people were around 30, some in their 40ties.. So you are in no rush - as you will learn very quickly in this industry - patience is the key.. patience, hard work and dedication..

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

I worked my bo**ocks off in retail after the Leaving for almost ten years to pay for my training. If I can do it anyone can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Stynes

I worked my bo**ocks off in retail after the Leaving for almost ten years to pay for my training. If I can do it anyone can :)

How much should I be save for the training

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Best part of 100k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Cityjet took on some cadets last year too I think

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Around 55,000 to 70,000 (depending on where you do your training) will get you to a stage where you are ready to apply to airlines for a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

pepe the prawn is bang on and you don't have to spend it all at once. If you're working, saving and studying, your timeline might look something like this:
    1st year - do your PPL - 10k
    year 2 to 3 - complete night rating, ATPL theory and hour building. if this costs you more than 20k you are doing something wrong
    year 4 - complete CPL/ME/IR (20k) and MCC (5k)

+ 5k contingency cash

it's still a lot of money, therefore a degree and above the minimum wage job will help a lot. Treat this as a long term project and plan accordingly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

You might have to fund a type rating on top of the above too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭donkey balls

My advise would be to get the best results you can in the Leaving cert and go to college pick something you would like doing it doesn't have to be aviation related , Consider this as a back up plan always have a back up plan trust me I have had to use mine in a past life.
    As some others have mentioned the cost is around 60/65k you could like many pilots I know do the training over a number of years while still working full time, Most of my mates did it that way you should also try and take a flying lesson to see if you like it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

It's been said many times before, but it's still a very important issue, before you spend any serious money on commercial flying training, get yourself a Class 1 medical, as without that, you won't be flying anything.

With how the system works, you don't actually need the Class 1 until you are about to start earning money from flying, but that is NOT the time to discover that for some obscure reason, you can't get it.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Forgot about the class 1 med and it is extremely important having had medicals done throughout my career, The class 1 medical brought up issues that I had with my sight that no other medical would have.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Stynes

It's been said many times before, but it's still a very important issue, before you spend any serious money on commercial flying training, get yourself a Class 1 medical, as without that, you won't be flying anything.

With how the system works, you don't actually need the Class 1 until you are about to start earning money from flying, but that is NOT the time to discover that for some obscure reason, you can't get it.

How old do you have to be to do the Class 1

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

How old do you have to be to do the Class 1

From somewhat rusty memory, I think it's 18, as that's the minimum age for a commercial licence, which also needs a Class 1.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I've built a career as a business consultant which is going strong at the minute. Im 29 now and plan to return to flying in the next six months through modular training with the goal of flying for an airline by the time I'm 35 whilst having a good solid back up plan in place. Given the huge sums involved thats important.

I done some PPL training when I was 24 but looking back I wasn't ready for it. My career wasn't as strong and financially the burden weighed on me and I put a lot of pressure on myself.

My advice to you would be to get a degree as back up and some work experience. That will take a heap of the pressure off as you commit to your training, perhaps on a modular basis. Also you have youth on your side so good luck.

Advertisement