Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

warranty question

Options
  • 31-05-2017 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

I bought a dishwasher from a well know retailer less than 18 months ago. After 11 months it developed a fault and was repaired under warranty.

Now it has developed the same fault and the retailer is refusing to repair it as they say it is out of warranty

My understanding was in Ireland the goods sold should last a reasonable time. 18 months for a dishwasher doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Am I wrong in my assumption that they should be repairing it free of charge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

You're exactly correct. Warranty means nothing in Ireland. Push for your rights. Small claims court is there if the try to fob you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Donutz wrote: »
    I bought a dishwasher from a well know retailer less than 18 months ago. After 11 months it developed a fault and was repaired under warranty.

Now it has developed the same fault and the retailer is refusing to repair it as they say it is out of warranty

My understanding was in Ireland the goods sold should last a reasonable time. 18 months for a dishwasher doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Am I wrong in my assumption that they should be repairing it free of charge?

A warranty is in addition to your statutory rights. The repair must be permanent, the item is faulty and you should be entitled to a refund. Don't let them fob you off with waffle about the warranty as that is irrelevant. Insist you get sorted out or tell them you will bring the to the small claims court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

A warranty is in addition to your statutory rights. The repair must be permanent, the item is faulty and you should be entitled to a refund. Don't let them fob you off with waffle about the warranty as that is irrelevant. Insist you get sorted out or tell them you will bring the to the small claims court.

This.
    If it's the exact same fault they need to replace it or refund it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

This.
    If it's the exact same fault they need to replace it or refund it.

Replace, repair or refund :)

jonnycivic wrote: »

No, the repair was already tried - its no longer an option.

• Advertisement

jonnycivic wrote: »

No they get one chance to refund it has to be permanent.
    Now it's replace or refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

Thanks everybody for your replies.

We bought it on flexirent and still have a few months payments left. Does this make a difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

You're allowed name the retailer OP & doing so can be instructive to others who may have encountered similar issues.

We bought it on flexirent and still have a few months payments left. Does this make a difference?

Not really.

It would make a difference that you are probably only eligible for a replacement rather than a refund as you don't own the equipment.
    It may be worth calling them to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Donutz

The retailer is Harvey Norman. Rang their call centre in Dublin and the store in Limerick where I bought it and got the same answer.

I'd be more than happy with a replacement.

The retailer is Harvey Norman. Rang their call centre in Dublin and the store in Limerick where I bought it and got the same answer.

I'd be more than happy with a replacement.

http://www.courts.ie/Courts.ie/Library3.nsf/PageCurrentWebLookUpTopNav/SMALL%20CLAIMS%20PROCEDURE?opendocument&l=en

Advertisement