Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bootlegs of gigs.

Options
  • 31-05-2017 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭

Remember when you could buy these?
    I have a few cassette recordings of various gigs at home.
    Megadeth in the Point in 91.
    U2 (Zooropa Tour in Cork.
    Pearl Jam Slane 92.
    Pearl Jam Den Haag 92.
    Pearl Jam Milstreet 96
    Pearl Jam Point Depot 96.

I used to travel to Dublin and buy them in a record shop in Temple Bar ( Rough Records??) and there used to be a lad on OConnell Bridge that used to sell them as well, and sometimes outside gigs ....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Comet in Temple Bar, Record Collector on Wicklow street and it was Sid that used sell them on the bridge. Still have my haul to this day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Down my way in Limerick, Metallica Top Hat was a well known one, and I had a copy of Megadeth at the Point in 91. In fact, my friend gave a tshirt of that gig, and I gave it away since.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Had a few; GnR Skull N Bones & Deftones @ Bizarre festival and the like picked up round the temple bar area alright can't remember the name of the main one I used mainly purchase from. Borderline stocked a small few but closed some time back.

There is Mojo records still there but nothing like the mass stock bootleg wise they'd have had before, dropped in about a month ago to see what they were doing these days they had a number of U2 bootlegs I noticed like a show or 2 of the 2015 gigs in the 3.02 I noticed; could've been Pearl Jam there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

I must try convert the cassettes to MP3, and burn em to cd then ....

Its just so ...slow and finicky...

... and im too lazy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

This is a good source for rock and metal bootlegs:
    http://heavysoundboard.blogspot.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭fyfe79

greenspurs wrote: »
    I must try convert the cassettes to MP3, and burn em to cd then ....

Its just so ...slow and finicky...

... and im too lazy :P

If you're interested, and trusting of a total stranger on the net, I could do it for you. I use a Technics tape deck and transfer using an Edirol wav recorder. I use the Edirol to record gigs myself these days.

My list:
    www.phishhook.com/lists/fyfe79

I remember that place on the quay in Dublin, Rhythm Records, which used to have tapes of gigs that happened the night before. I remember buying a few Therapy? and Deftones ones before heading home to Clonmel. In the early 2000's they switched to CDR's and started charging monumental money for them (due to file sharing, I guess they needed to make their profit quick!).

Long shot, but did anyone get Soundgarden's show from the RDS in 1995? I doubt if it was even taped, but if it was, I'd love to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Was just talking about this to my mate last week when I was home for GnR. I remember the place in Temple Bar on the left as you walked through the arch from the Quays. Got some Deftones, RATM, Nirvana etc.

He mentioned a place like a spar shop that had a basement record shop that sold bootlegs, anyone know where in Dublin that was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

That was Freebird on Eden Quay. It was under the Bus Stop newsagents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

That was Freebird on Eden Quay. It was under the Bus Stop newsagents.

Yes!! Was wrecking my head since last week!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Used to buy these back in the day.. quality generally varied from bad to terrible unless they were pulled from the sound desk.

Videos were generally worse because they were 4th/5th/6th generation copies from an original.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Used to buy these back in the day.. quality generally varied from bad to terrible unless they were pulled from the sound desk.

Videos were generally worse because they were 4th/5th/6th generation copies from an original.

I have a video from the REM gig in Slane in 95.
    And a few i have done myself of Rem (malahide castle)
    The Doors (The Point) Metallica ( RdS )

fyfe79 wrote: »
    If you're interested, and trusting of a total stranger on the net, I could do it for you. I use a Technics tape deck and transfer using an Edirol wav recorder. I use the Edirol to record gigs myself these days.

My list:
    www.phishhook.com/lists/fyfe79

I remember that place on the quay in Dublin, Rhythm Records, which used to have tapes of gigs that happened the night before. I remember buying a few Therapy? and Deftones ones before heading home to Clonmel. In the early 2000's they switched to CDR's and started charging monumental money for them (due to file sharing, I guess they needed to make their profit quick!).

Long shot, but did anyone get Soundgarden's show from the RDS in 1995? I doubt if it was even taped, but if it was, I'd love to get it.

Can you pm me? Im not too far from Clonmel...
    I would be interested ..

Advertisement