Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert in one year.

Options
  • 31-05-2017 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hey.

So I've had minimal attendance in school for the past 5 years due to mental health issues (Depression and insomnia), I was allowed to move on in the school system anyway as my grades remained stellar until about 3rd year, where despite getting honors in all higher level subjects, I was disappointed with my JC as I felt I could do better. Now I'm finding myself falling behind, Specifically in maths, which is ironic because when I was younger I was assessed as being in the top percentile of all maths students in the country by the HSE.

I pretty much just need some resources that will allow me to cover the entire leaving cert course in the next year.
    I'm becoming increasingly infuriated because my Maths teacher keeps recommending I move down to ordinary level Maths in spite of me AND my year head who I'm close to telling him that we won't allow it and my Engineering teacher says that at the rate I'm going he thinks I've already failed my leaving cert.

I would really appreciate some help on this since my first choice Universities are A-A-B level and I want to study computer science abroad, which I'm already at around a bachelors level in, but that won't be an option unless I ace my leaving cert.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

With the risk of this sounding like an advertisment I won't name individual schools.

But there is a grind school in Dublin who cover every subject from scratch (they assume you know nothing) at the beginning of 6th year (including maths) with time for revision towards the end of the year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm not clear - have you just finished TY or 5th year? What is the rush to do the LC in one year rather than give yourself the best possible chance and do the two year course in two years as intended?

Talk to your teachers and explain what you want to do.
    It's more important you address your mental health issues as they may affect you in whatever college you go to.

There is no need to pay lots of money to private businesses to do what you can do in your own school for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭aon1998

spurious wrote: »

There is no need to pay lots of money to private businesses to do what you can do in your own school for free.

Yep you're probably right, just giving my experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Fian

Hey.

So I've had minimal attendance in school for the past 5 years due to mental health issues (Depression and insomnia), I was allowed to move on in the school system anyway as my grades remained stellar until about 3rd year, where despite getting honors in all higher level subjects, I was disappointed with my JC as I felt I could do better. Now I'm finding myself falling behind, Specifically in maths, which is ironic because when I was younger I was assessed as being in the top percentile of all maths students in the country by the HSE.

I pretty much just need some resources that will allow me to cover the entire leaving cert course in the next year.
    I'm becoming increasingly infuriated because my Maths teacher keeps recommending I move down to ordinary level Maths in spite of me AND my year head who I'm close to telling him that we won't allow it and my Engineering teacher says that at the rate I'm going he thinks I've already failed my leaving cert.

I would really appreciate some help on this since my first choice Universities are A-A-B level and I want to study computer science abroad, which I'm already at around a bachelors level in, but that won't be an option unless I ace my leaving cert.

Cheers

Honours maths for the leaving cert is qualitatively different from the level of maths you were assessed as being in the top percentile in the country when you were younger. Having scored in that top percentile doesn't mean you will do well in the leaving cert, maths also requires significant work on top of ability.

Having said that it sounds like you have the ability so you just need to put in the work. The bonus points available for maths really matter alot (for irish universities) and mean that if you can it is often worthwhile to stay at higher level.

Your maths teacher is obviously better placed than anyone replying to you on this thread to assess whether you should do higher or ordinary level. You should at least be open to the possibility that they are better placed to assess that than you are, they have far more experience of the leaving cert than you do.

No matter your ability if you have had minimal attendance in school for five years you are unlikely to be able to achieve a strong leaving cert next year without very strong levels of effort. Are you sure you are going to be able to sustain that level of effort or would you be better off repeating the previous year and trying to do the leaving cert a year later than you had planned?

If you do go ahead I suggest you start now, not in September. Alot of the leaving cert curriculum can be self taught, you should use the summer to catch up on the work you missed last year.

Is there a study group available in your school that you could join? that would perhaps also help with convincing your teachers that you are intending to put in a real effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 CE DCG

Fian wrote: »
    Honours maths for the leaving cert is qualitatively different from the level of maths you were assessed as being in the top percentile in the country when you were younger. Having scored in that top percentile doesn't mean you will do well in the leaving cert, maths also requires significant work on top of ability.

Having said that it sounds like you have the ability so you just need to put in the work. The bonus points available for maths really matter alot (for irish universities) and mean that if you can it is often worthwhile to stay at higher level.

Your maths teacher is obviously better placed than anyone replying to you on this thread to assess whether you should do higher or ordinary level. You should at least be open to the possibility that they are better placed to assess that than you are, they have far more experience of the leaving cert than you do.

No matter your ability if you have had minimal attendance in school for five years you are unlikely to be able to achieve a strong leaving cert next year without very strong levels of effort. Are you sure you are going to be able to sustain that level of effort or would you be better off repeating the previous year and trying to do the leaving cert a year later than you had planned?

If you do go ahead I suggest you start now, not in September. Alot of the leaving cert curriculum can be self taught, you should use the summer to catch up on the work you missed last year.

Is there a study group available in your school that you could join? that would perhaps also help with convincing your teachers that you are intending to put in a real effort.

The last time I checked, the HSE do medical assessments and not educational ones in relation to mathematical ability - As the last poster said - Listen to your teacher

• Advertisement
Advertisement