Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concerned about lump on breast

Options
  • 30-05-2017 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

My doc was a bit concerned to feel a bit of a soft lump in one of my breasts. Referred me to James'. Was nearly 3 months when I got appointment. Was expecting mammogram, ultrasound and possible biopsy. Thought they did everything the same day.
    Couldn't believe how busy the place was. Saw doc for clinical assessment. She told me it was def a cyst, and nothing to worry about, but that I would get a letter in the post for ultra and mamm. That was three weeks ago. I still have pain, does get worse at certain times, and I have had it for a couple of years now. terrified I have cancer and they are missing it. But I try to reassure myself that they are the experts who know what they are doing. Can they really tell from a physical exam what is clearly a cyst and what is something more ominous?
    Just wondering about going privately too.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hi Picturehangup, post moved to new thread as the thread you posted on hasn't been used in some time

I think if you are concerned i would return to your gp for a start. However it sounds by your post that the doctor who did the assessment was quite sure you had nothing to worry about. It's a stressful time so going back to your gp may help ease your mind..

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

I recommend going to the GP again too. Maybe you can get an mri scan done privately on their referral. It costs about 200ebut at least you would know in 2 days or so.

My understanding is a cyst feels very different to anything else so im sure youre fine bit id like to see a scan if it were me.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭picturehangup

Hi ladies, to give you a quick update. Had mammogram and ultrasound today, and all checked out grand. No discomfort, nothing. Will never be afraid of this again.
    No biopsy needed, have a small cyst that will probably go away on its own.
    If in doubt, get it checked out!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Great news!. Delighted for you.

Advertisement