Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming with a new tattoo

Options
  • 30-05-2017 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm getting my 2nd tattoo on Tuesday but I also just realised in the middle of my swimming lessons that your not supposed to be in the pool how long do I wait before I can resume my lessons.

It'll be on my forearm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

I stand to be corrected, but I think it's 7-10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

At least 3 weeks, I'd guess but then again everyone heals differently. Everything about swimming is bad in the initial healing period but I'd definitely leave it even for a while after that, just to be on the safe side. Its kinda crazy to get a tattoo while taking swimming lessons.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Wrap it in cling film for the lesson.It will be ok once the cling film is watertight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

OP, I'm sure you are just here to seek reassurance about the decision you made... Under no circumstances would I swim with a new tattoo... In fact a got a bamboo tattoo is Thailand & didn't go into the sea for the remainder of my holiday.

You do what you want, but don't use the age old argument that some random internerds said it was okay. I'm trying to be a better person on boards and not be mean spirited about posts like this, but you are permanently marking your body with a price of art which will last the remainder of your life... do it properly first time, I'd prefer not to read about how your line work went blotchy, or how you think the artist had ****ed up in 6 months time... The reality is that if you chose to get a tattoo and chose to swim while it's new, you run a high risk of ****ing it up... Then we'll have to have a similar discussion about coverups etc...

This may not be any you want to hear, but...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Bluefoam in all fairness that's just your opinion ive been tattooed abroad,as a matter of fact I'm getting a sleeve finished in July abroad.
    Cling film once water tight is ok to use of you are swimming.
    And I'm not a random internerd.Im getting inked over 20 years now.Theres a lot of bull**** out there regarding healing etc.Ive tested most of them.And you know something.Your body will heal at its own pace.No amount of super creams make any difference.
    The first tattoo I got Vaseline was recommended.Then it was savlon.Now it's bepanthen.None of these made any difference to the healing process.
    I've gotten inked on the first day of a 2 week holiday and used cling film when swimming and those tattoos are as vibrant as the day they were done.Every body heals at their own pace.

You say you are trying to be a better person on boards but in all fairness you are trying to ram your opinion down someone else throat.

I've personally tested all these so called methods and they are all the same.

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Bluefoam in all fairness that's just your opinion ive been tattooed abroad,as a matter of fact I'm getting a sleeve finished in July abroad.
    Cling film once water tight is ok to use of you are swimming.
    And I'm not a random internerd.Im getting inked over 20 years now.Theres a lot of bull**** out there regarding healing etc.Ive tested most of them.And you know something.Your body will heal at its own pace.No amount of super creams make any difference.
    The first tattoo I got Vaseline was recommended.Then it was savlon.Now it's bepanthen.None of these made any difference to the healing process.
    I've gotten inked on the first day of a 2 week holiday and used cling film when swimming and those tattoos are as vibrant as the day they were done.Every body heals at their own pace.

You say you are trying to be a better person on boards but in all fairness you are trying to ram your opinion down someone else throat.

I've personally tested all these so called methods and they are all the same.

My bad OP... Disregard everything I said. Apparently you are 100% guaranteed to be fine with a bit of clingflim... It's been proven by Hellrazer. No need to take any precautions whatsoever... This is not based on heresay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

degsie wrote: »

He didn't have any cling film on!!!!

It was actually due to complications from his liver disease that he died.
    It is believed that the man’s liver disease from drinking six beers a day was a main contributor to the severity of the infection.

"For patients who are healthy, this organism very rarely infects people," Hendren said.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    He didn't have any cling film on!!!!

It was actually due to complications from his liver disease that he died.

Are you a clingfilm salesman?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Hellrazer's point is that the guy took no measures to protect his tattoo, so the infection could have been prevented if measures were taken to protect/waterproof the tattoo.

Getting snippy or sarcastic doesn't help anyone learn from this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Personally I wouldn't. I paid lots of money for my tattoos and I'd want to do anything that it heals properly for the best outcome.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Hellrazer's point is that the guy took no measures to protect his tattoo, so the infection could have been prevented if measures were taken to protect/waterproof the tattoo.

Getting snippy or sarcastic doesn't help anyone learn from this.

I disagree. Hellrazer's point was that the OP would be fully protected by clingflim and to ignore any other advice given.

My original point was to air on the side of caution. My subsequent sarcastic response was meant to highlight the notion that clingflim was the perfect and 100% reliable resolution to swimming with a new tattoo... It may have worked for him, but everyone is different & I've seen some nasty results from people who haven't cared for new tattoos, but again, that would be heresay.

As I advised previously, it is best to take a more cautious approach, but the OP can do whatever they like. As I stated previously, it seems he's just here for reassurance over a decision he's already made... Hellrazer has given him the authorization he sought... So everyone is happy.

If I was going to mark my body for the rest of my life, I would either postpone the swimming lessons, or postpone the tattoo... Neither are life or death...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Got my tattoo today and put off my next lesson till wednesday two weeks away so in my opinion I reckon in 15 days time I should be okay , My 1st tattoo healed really quickly

Advertisement