Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banner hiding when clicking smilies and post button

Options
  • 30-05-2017 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭

When you click on the text box when posting a comment the header menu disappears and causes the page to jump up. When you click a smiley, preview button or post button the click is eaten by whatever is reshowing the header.

Meaning it jumps the page and shows the menu but doesnt do what you clicked to do. And if you try to click a smiley, it takes two clicks and the header appearing and disappearing as the text generated from the button on the second click rehides the menu.

On desktop too when submitting or previewing the click on the button shows the header which pushes the buttons off the screen. So you have to click the button which pushes the button from view and then scroll down and click it again. It's extremely annoying.

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hey there, is this a recent thing and is it still happening? Any chance you can tell us what OS and browser you're using and a screenshot of what the header is doing if you wouldn't mind? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

Hey there, is this a recent thing and is it still happening? Any chance you can tell us what OS and browser you're using and a screenshot of what the header is doing if you wouldn't mind? Thanks.

It's been happening for months. I'll post a screen shot or gif when I get home later.

I assume the header behaviour is expected but the smily and button behaviour is not. It might just be that clicking anywhere outside the text box shows the header and that's eating the button and smily click.

It's happening on chrome in Windows 10 on the old site. Do you guys still support that ?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

If you just mean the legacy site then yes we still support that, it's some old skins that are no longer supported - if you have one of these enabled, this may be the issue but let's have a look at your screenshot when you have it.

Clicking in the text area when creating a post hides the banner menu, Clicking outside the text area shows it. The smiley's and submit buttons are outside and clicking on them while the focus is in the text area does nothing but shows the menu. So you have to click on them twice.

Gif: http://imgur.com/a/l8n4i

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Boards.ie: Ronan

Hi,

I've tried to reproduce this issue, following the exact same steps as performed in your gif, but with no success. Can you confirm if it's only happening to you on one particular machine with Chrome browser or is it happening across multiple machines and/or browsers.

• Advertisement

Yeah it seems to only happen in Chrome (Version 58.0.3029.110 (64-bit). I haven't tested in IE but on Edge and Firefox the banner doesn't disappear.

Btw in Chrome I have all extensions disabled, cache cleared and closed reopened.

Not sure how helpful this gif is but it shows that the header, breadcrumb and nav-area are set being set to hidden when the focus is inside the text area. Also not sure if that console error for GetSkimwordsData has anything to do with anything.

http://imgur.com/a/S8OXe

Edit:

So I tested it on a couple other devices:
    Galaxy 6 Phone with Request Desktop Site selected to show the legacy site rather than mobile which displays the exact same behavior hiding the banner when you click into the text area.
    Dell 15" laptop (same size as other one) with same 64 bit version of Chrome which doesn't display the behavior.

Thing about the laptop which is displaying the issue is that it's a touch screen laptop. So perhaps there's something in the code to detect a touch screen device using chrome and it's applying some styling related to that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Boards.ie: Ronan

So good news and bad news

Haven't been able to reproduce on Chrome 58.0.3029.110 (64 bit) Windows/No extensions.

I have however managed to reproduce using Chrome on an Android device. Appears to be how vbulletin makes way for the virtual keyboard on mobile devices.

I guess it's the touch screen then being treated as a mobile device and hiding the banner to make room for a virtual keyboard that isn't there.

Appreciate you guys looking into it anyway. Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement