Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rich Communication Services and Universal Profile

Options
  • 30-05-2017 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Does anybody know the statuses of each mobile network with regard to RCS? Are any of them implementing it? Have any of them implemented it?

Specifically, Universal Profile is what I'm looking for, I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Vodafone "Message +" is RCS.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vodafone.messaging&hl=en
    Google's Jibe Cloud platform is an implementation of the RCS Universal Profile, designed to help carriers launch RCS quickly and scale easily.[10] Google supports RCS on Android devices with the Android Messages app. The Jibe RCS cloud service partners with Sprint, Rogers, Telenor, and Vodafone; Orange, Deutsche Telekom, and Globe are committed to the service.

Big red are your man for staying bleeding edge (still waiting for VOLTE on 3).

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

prmcnamara wrote: »
    Does anybody know the statuses of each mobile network with regard to RCS? Are any of them implementing it? Have any of them implemented it?

Specifically, Universal Profile is what I'm looking for, I think.

I am skeptical about RCS. This is a service developed by the Mobile Operators to try to replicate the free IM messaging services offered by Social Media such as Facebook Messenger or Whatsapp. It offers standard IM features such as Presence, Receipt notification, Group messaging, etc.

It would be great if everyone adopted it - and maybe they will eventually - but for now it's just another IM island, with far fewer users than any of the Social Media islands. Furthermore - Apple don't support it, as it competes with their proprietary iMessage!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

How does it work cost wise? If I use, say, Vodafone Message+ to message someone who also has RCS, will it be sent over the internet for free (like any other IM) and as a regular SMS/MMS if the recipient doesn't have RCS.

Advertisement