Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So... time to broaden the retro family??

Options
  • 30-05-2017 12:28pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭

We are moving inexorably into the future, at a speed of 1 second per second.

And, the line marking the retro from the consoles that the plebs use has barely moved in over a decade.

Cult V Retro V some crap that guy from the pub plays Fifa 17 on continues to rage, resulting in the appearance of trolls, flamers, fanbois, snowflakes and those with a little common sense, on the boards as well as throughout the internet.

But, more to the point.

Is it the time to see Gamecube, Xbox, Dreamcast and PS2 to the retro family??

Seeing as the PS3 and 360 had an extraordinarily long life span, some 12 years, we are seeing launch Xbox, GC and PS2 some 17 years in the past, DC some 18/19 years ago.

So, will we open our arms or tell them to feck off?

Make your vote heard!

Edit: This may also have a certain impact on the Arcade and Retro Marketplace... to be discussed further with the mod Optimus

Should the PS2/GC/Xbox gen be now retro? 10 votes

Yes! Make it so!
    0% 0 votes
    No! you petaQ!
    90% 9 votes
    I can't decide, I drank too much lead based paint as a child
    0% 0 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    10% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,569 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

From a sales point of view? Most definitely! The A&R sales sub forum has really been doing great, would be nice to see listings expanded to include the mighty 128 bit (!) Gen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

There was an NTSC PS2 going wanting on the Games forum, with no where to sell it, aside from the shark infested waters of Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Is it the time to see Gamecube, Xbox, Dreamcast and PS2 to the retro family??

You mean they're not seen as retro?? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    You mean they're not seen as retro?? :confused:

Not yet....
    I can barely get my head around it myself, seeing as I bought all three at launch, and love them all still.
    Hard to believe so much time has past.
    And how much hair has relocated from my head to my chin, nose and ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,569 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sure the PS2 is from the last millennium :pac:

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Not yet....

Ah they are, I thought this thread was going to be about the PS3 & 360!!! The PS2, Gamecube, & Xbox have all been sold/traded on the Marketplace already, so there'll be no changes there :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Yeh was going to say myself, all those consoles and games have been sold on the marketplace many times. From the marketplace point of view the one that comes up the most is whether or not the Wii is retro yet.

I guess the vague rule for the marketplace was always if they are still producing games for it, then its not available to sell on the marketplace as retro. Which the Wii must be at this point is it?

So, the Wii is one gen distant from the current gen.
    So, will we call that now, Retro?
    I kinda feel it, as well as PS3/360 are still not there yet tbh

The Wii, PS3, & 360 still have a ways to go I feel before being considered retro...but no question for me re the PS2, Xbox, & GameCube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

I'd always consider anything before last gen to be retro. So PS2 would be retro.

Slightly related, should there be a future retro games thread or some discussion allowed in existing threads?

Some games can get pricey by the time its A&R approved retro :) , I'd imagine now would be the time to pick up ps3/360 rarer titles, if its not too late already.

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    The Wii, PS3, & 360 still have a ways to go I feel before being considered retro...but no question for me re the PS2, Xbox, & GameCube

Damn you n00b!!

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    I'd always consider anything before last gen to be retro. So PS2 would be retro.

Slightly related, should there be a future retro games thread or some discussion allowed in existing threads?

Some games can get pricey by the time its A&R approved retro :) , I'd imagine now would be the time to pick up ps3/360 rarer titles, if its not too late already.

That's a much better idea than this unfortunate misfire of a thread.
    I will close it, hope everyone forgets it's existence, and slink away ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement