Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness tracker that tracks cycling & has an lcd display?

Options
  • 30-05-2017 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a fitness tracker that would track cycling (amongst other things) for under €100, €60 would be better but maybe not realistic. The Polar M200 gets great reviews but is £129....

Just want something that would display on the 'watch' lcd basic items like distance cycled, speed, average speed and ideally you don't need to have your phone with you. I'd also use it for jogging, while playing football & daily steps count.

It has to be a wearable item and not a cycling speedometer/computer that sits on the handlebar, unless there's a wrist tracker that syncs to the speedometer.

Thanks,
    Pa.

Comments

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for a fitness tracker that would track cycling (amongst other things) for under €100, €60 would be better but maybe not realistic. The Polar M200 gets great reviews but is £129....

Just want something that would display on the 'watch' lcd basic items like distance cycled, speed, average speed and ideally you don't need to have your phone with you. I'd also use it for jogging, while playing football & daily steps count.

It has to be a wearable item and not a cycling speedometer/computer that sits on the handlebar, unless there's a wrist tracker that syncs to the speedometer.

Thanks,
    Pa.

you need gps functionality for cycling. and a pedometer for steps.
    you won't get a new item for your budget with both.
    cheapest option would be a 2nd-hand tomtom runner which has both.

this one has a hr monitor built in also. tomtom cardio. that's a bonus
    http://www.adverts.ie/other/tomtom-cardio-runner-gps-watch/11656383

other ones for sale on adverts also. one for the same price
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_tomtom+runner/

actually a new one is £75 sterling + postage (use parcelmotel, parcelwizard etc if doesn't sell to ireland directly)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Runner-Cardio-Running-Watch/dp/B01KVG2HGW?SubscriptionId=AKIAI2TAAXITCWDBXDMQ&tag=trusrevi01-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01KVG2HGW

here's a review
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/tomtom-runner-cardio-review

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

cheers for the replies. I've decided to ditch what I'm looking for any maybe get a fitness tracker for walking, running etc (Fitbit Charge 2 looks good and can be picked up for about €110). I'll get a dedicated cycling computer (for handlebars) another time maybe.

Ones without lcd that shows exact steps, distance are a lot cheaper but I like the idea of seeing exactly how much you've done- e.g. walked 1,850 steps- could motivate me to walk another 150 to reach 2000. I know the cheaper ones have lights that show how near you are to your target etc. but you're still guessing.

The TomTom looks impressive but is MASSIVE. I'm not cycling or running much so happier with something that I can have on me daily and that might motivate me to exercise a bit more.
    Cheers,
    Pa.

having the heart-rate is something that you'll learn to appreciate as you get into things more - especially when jogging.

the only downside of that tomtom cardio is that it's not the smallest watch really.

it has bluetooth also which means you can sync with a phone app for keeping a record in an app which is handy.

cheers for the replies. I've decided to ditch what I'm looking for any maybe get a fitness tracker for walking, running etc (Fitbit Charge 2 looks good and can be picked up for about €110). I'll get a dedicated cycling computer (for handlebars) another time maybe.

Ones without lcd that shows exact steps, distance are a lot cheaper but I like the idea of seeing exactly how much you've done- e.g. walked 1,850 steps- could motivate me to walk another 150 to reach 2000. I know the cheaper ones have lights that show how near you are to your target etc. but you're still guessing.

The TomTom looks impressive but is MASSIVE. I'm not cycling or running much so happier with something that I can have on me daily and that might motivate me to exercise a bit more.
    Cheers,
    Pa.

then you can really get something for not much money. Lidl have this going today. has lcd and companion app
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=55890

should do the job fine. I wouldn't worry that it's not a fitbit or big brand. this tech is standard these days.

another one I'd recommend is the mi band 2.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    then you can really get something for not much money. Lidl have this going today. has lcd and companion app
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=55890

should do the job fine. I wouldn't worry that it's not a fitbit or big brand. this tech is standard these days.

another one I'd recommend is the mi band 2.

Do you know if the Silvercrest can be used to track a current run- e.g. I go on a run and it'll show my current distance run. So not just amount of steps for day?

Thanks,
    Pa

Do you know if the Silvercrest can be used to track a current run- e.g. I go on a run and it'll show my current distance run. So not just amount of steps for day?

Thanks,
    Pa

It won't show you that on the band. the band will only show the running total for the day. but it will in the phone app which you can view later when it sync's. e.g. it will show you steps over the timeline of the day. so you will see that e.g. if you ran 5pm to 530pm in that hour you'll see the steps.

pedometers are not as accurate as something with gps so it will be in the range of +/- 10% or so.

but something with gps is more expensive. also gps eats battery life.

glasso wrote: »
    It won't show you that on the band. the band will only show the running total for the day. but it will in the phone app which you can view later when it sync's. e.g. it will show you steps over the timeline of the day. so you will see that e.g. if you ran 5pm to 530pm in that hour you'll see the steps.

pedometers are not as accurate as something with gps so it will be in the range of +/- 10% or so.

but something with gps is more expensive. also gps eats battery life.

Thanks again. So if I want something that'll show steps for day & current walk/run I need something with GPS or something like the Fitbit charge 2 if I have my phone with me (as it uses that for GPS)? correct?

Thanks,
    Patrick.

something a lot smaller than the tomtom is the garmin 15 which will track current run accurately with gps and also do steps for the day. see if you can get one secondhand.
    has gps and pedometer.

here's a new one for 80 euro. postage another 10 euro

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Garmin-Forerunner-FR15-GPS-Speed-Distance-Sports-Watch-Black-Blue-Large-/122506488356?hash=item1c85f4aa24:g:2CcAAOSwsXFZJS2E

Thanks again. So if I want something that'll show steps for day & current walk/run I need something with GPS or something like the Fitbit charge 2 if I have my phone with me (as it uses that for GPS)? correct?

Thanks,
    Patrick.

but bringing your phone with you on a run is not convenient - it's a pain in fact.
    a watch is the better option.
    you only turn on gps for the run.

• Advertisement

What's the difference between the Mi and the Silbercrest?
    Heart rate, a thing else?
    Thanks again.

What's the difference between the Mi and the Silbercrest?
    Heart rate, a thing else?
    Thanks again.

I don't know the exact differences in battery life, functions, apps etc.
    they both have steps, heart rate (which is not that useful actually in this case as heart rate is most useful in the case of a gps watch matching pace to hr rate) and and app. I have the mi band 2. overall I'd say they are broadly similar in terms of basic functions. you can have phone notifications for texts, calls etc from the mi also but personally I don't find that useful. I don't know if the lidl one can do that.

the price is similar. the main difference is that the mi band 2 you'll have to order from abroad and either
    1. you order from amazon or something like that and pay about 30 sterling or so and get in a week or two
    2. you order from china from about 22 euro and it takes ages

you could pick up the lidl one for 25 euro today and if you don't like it just return it after a few days saying it didn't suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Hi,

I'm looking for a fitness tracker that would track cycling (amongst other things) for under ?100, ?60 would be better but maybe not realistic. The Polar M200 gets great reviews but is ?129....

Thanks,
    Pa.

I got a Polar M200 on Amazon.de in a warehouse deal for less than 100 euro.

Great little device.

I'm pretty sure they're always available in a warehouse deal with a decent discount.

Silbercrest was sold out in my local Lidl. Bought the Garmin 15 yesterday. Looking forward to it.

Advertisement