Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview only viewers - numbers?

Options
  • 29-05-2017 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any numbers on the number of people or households in Ireland who only have access to Saorview and no other TV solutions.

The reason I ask is that I see relatively large numbers on the ratings thread, showing people who access British soaps and other UK shoes on Saorview channels, rather than on their home channels.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has any numbers on the number of people or households in Ireland who only have access to Saorview and no other TV solutions.

The reason I ask is that I see relatively large numbers on the ratings thread, showing people who access British soaps and other UK shoes on Saorview channels, rather than on their home channels.

Its about 150,000 households willing to be corrected.

EastEnders has never done that well for RTÉ ONE in fact I'd say RTÉ ONE helped improve its audience.

Coronation Street has lost viewers since moving back to TV3.

And you have to except that RTÉ ONE and TV3 are the main Irish services so people will have watched the news and other Irish programmes and remained watching on either services. People largely view English TV services as extra or additional services. With the possible exception of BBC ONE which has retained 4% of the audience.

The English channels were always more susceptible to fragmentation here due to other English channels from the same companies.

Up to 2004 RTÉ2, TV3, UTV and BBC ONE had a 40% between them now it is more like 18%

The soaps are dying IMO.

Advertisement