Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volkswagen T5 camper insurance

Options
  • 29-05-2017 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭

This has probably been asked a thousand times but anyway...

So if I get a SWB T5 camper without the raised roof how do I insure it?
    I presume from my research that you won't get camper insurance if it's under 1.8m.
    So do insure it as a standard vehicle and is that what people are doing that don't have raised roofs?

Also if it's registered as a camper does it qualify for camper motor tax even it's not insured as a camper.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I have one, and I could only get insurance through Motorcaravan Club of Ireland. Can't remember the name of the broker they use off hand, but you eventually end up with Allianz insurance. They're fairly easy to join, you'll just need a local qualified engineer to come out for a look at your T5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Cool, had a look at the site.
    So would I have to get the camper first before I could join or can I join and then get the camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

XsApollo wrote: »
    Cool, had a look at the site.
    So would I have to get the camper first before I could join or can I join and then get the camper.

You'd have to get the camper first. And yeah, I'm not sure what you're suppose to do with that intermediate phase of no insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

Hi,

Who covers T5 conversions?

I'm with Richardsons.
    I have found that Dolmen do not cover T5 this year (the valuator said they now require a walkway from driver to rear ! ).

Anyone else out there?

Richardsons are quoting 428 euro (plus it requires membership of Motor Caravan Club of Ireland, 65euro I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

n1st wrote: »
    Richardsons are quoting 428 euro (plus it requires membership of Motor Caravan Club of Ireland, 65euro I think).

I would take that if you can get it. I think Carole Nash will insure VWs only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭n1st

Alkers wrote: »
    I would take that if you can get it. I think Carole Nash will insure VWs only.

Unfortunately not in Ireland. T2 only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

The Motor Caravan club is your only option I believe if you do not have a high roof or pop top.

Advertisement